Netflix

www.netflix.com
  www.netflix.com
There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

A great, fun place to work

Current Employee - Senior User Interface Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
Current Employee - Senior User Interface Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

The service/product is fun to work on, and my friends all know what it is. Netflix is very flexible in a number of ways (work hours and vacation time), my coworkers are competent, and the pay is very good.

Cons

Since we tend to hire experienced engineers in the first place, there aren't pronounced tiers among engineers, so promotions are very rare.

Promotions seem much more common in management positions, and even those seem to be mostly in-place promotions (i.e. the employee's responsibilities don't seem to change with the promotion).

Thanks for everything, and keep up the good work.

420 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

The job is full of freedom and responsibility.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

A super big plus is the vacation policy - you get to have unlimited paid vacation (they don't track it here).

Cons

I don't have any cons to mention.

None.

An incredible environment that will definitely make you grow as a professional

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Netflix for 3 years. As most of reviews say, it is incredible to see how open and honest the culture is. The company is still pretty flat for its size, and you can feel your impact on initiatives you work on. Development moves very fast and our cycles are short and iterative. Multiple 6-month long projects in other companies get out the door in a matter of a few weeks.

I definitely feel like reviews on Glassdoor do not make justice to the Netflix environment. Yes, there is a lot of work, but I do not feel people get let go all the time, or that anyone would feel scared of being fired without reason. People do not get let go without fair warning. Everyone I know that has been let go so far saw it coming and recognizes it is the best for both them and the company. I find it hard to believe sometimes we have to overcome people's fears in that aspect. And newcomers realize very fast there is a myth and feel great to have joined.

In short, it is a remarkable, fair and candid company and I am thrilled to have joined and I plan to go nowhere in the next 5 years.

Cons

I agree there is no career plan or defined development, but then again, this translates into a lot of freedom to forge your own path. Plus, people who are hired are usually senior, so I feel there is less of a need for a strict career plan. When you work at Netflix, you are exposed to so much that it is easy to explain why you grow so much in a short period of time.

One of the biggest fears within the company is that our amazing culture gets diluted as we grow, so it is important to continue investing to keep the culture alive.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix