Netflix
www.netflix.com Los Gatos, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Lost their way

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- top of market base salary
- 4 DVD out plan is free
- do not penny pinch on equipment, get whatever you want.

Cons- freedom and responsbility is their mantra when you're hired, but it is not practiced by new managers.
- people get fired all the time for disagreeing or questioning management on anything.
- On some teams(mine, not all) there was no collaboration in design between managers and programmers. The managers designed it and the only freedom the programmers had was to develop it exactly in that manner. If you disagreed with the design, you guessed it: your fired.
- even star performers routinely get the axe. Others remaining are understandably nervous about their jobs.
- so called stock plan makes no sense at all. Only plan I've ever heard of where an employee has to risk his own money to participate.
- benefits are awful if you have a family. It cost me $800/month to have medical and dental for the family of 4. If your single, your completely covered.
- no vacation paid when you leave. This is also a plus in a way though. Netflix does not track vacation time at all. If you take too much though, you will get fired without warning.

Advice to Senior Management- take off that powerpoint presentation from jobs.netflix.com about the Netflix culture. It no longer applies. Netflix has turned into the mature company that is envisioned in the slide deck. Star performers no longer want to work there.

Best place I have ever worked

Director of Engineering (Current Employee)
Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Leading edge technology, not afraid to do things differently if it makes sense, agile and low process overhead for… Cons: You have to be comfortable with rapid change, ambiguity and have enough self confidence to cope with the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

High pace, low direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great compensation, decent hours, nice employees (below upper management). Cons: No clear communication. The management team was not on the same page and would… Advice to Senior Management: Get on the same page. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.