Netflix
www.netflix.com Los Gatos, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

For Engineers, this place is a joke

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

ProsYou're given independence and the ability to do your job how you see fit - some of the time. Most of the time management runs around like a chicken with their collective head cut off and priorities constantly change.

Cons- The salaries are competitive, but not particularly high, despite what their so called slide deck proclaims. Keep in mind that your stock purchase and "bonus" is included, so $160k at Google is the same as $210k at Netflix.

- Constant threats of firing, a culture of fear and throwing other employees under the bus to save your own skin. The threats of firing lead to crunch and absurd stress levels.

- Employees aren't as intelligent as other high tech firms, they're hired more for the ability to play corporate politics than technical skill.

- To follow on the above, the average stay here seems to be about a year. Understand that Netflix isn't an engineering company, it's an entertainment company and a fragile streaming infrastructure and clunky front end is built to consume that entertainment. But content is king, not the technology, and it never will be.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd recommend working on technology a bit more. With the continual turnover and exodus of engineers, the technology and products are a house of cards.

Excellent company to work for

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Incredibly talented coworkers, opportunity to make a difference (your work is really seen in other parts of… Cons: Very specific areas of work, it might be difficult to transition to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Very good learning experience at a cost of a lot of heartache

Customer Service Supervisor III (Former Employee)
Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Pay and benefits. They typically pay above scale and… Cons: Management, on several occasions missed their mark on several key initiatives in the center. Specifically they never had a clue what was happening on… Advice to Senior Management: I would share advice but management seems to agree with Hastings' approach… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.