Netflix

www.netflix.com
Engaged on Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Know yourself, then manage your path accordingly

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant co-workers, opportunities to have a direct impact, minimal nit-picking bureaucracy or corporate policies, dynamic energy as the company continually evolves. Company does pretty well as removing doofuses and not hiring jerks. For the saavy employee, you can move into some great opportunities as the company grows and adapts. Upper management is very transparent (even when sometimes they don't make the best call -- e.g. Qwikster).

Cons

Dynamic environment does not work for a 'do my work and go home' employee or those who just want to show up and be told what to do. Middle and lower management can be a crap shoot -- seek out a great boss (there's many at Netflix) and avoid the bad ones (unfortunately, Netflix has those too). There is a level of 'playing the game' but not to an extent that I'd say is greater than anywhere else. Corporate philosophy does not emphasize coaching (but does not ban it) -- so you need to seek out your own mentors or strengthen your team (if you're a lead) by figuring out career/skills grown on your own.

448 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

Competitive Company with Opportunities for The MOST Ambitious

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

free food, and flexible scheduling is promoted, although in a call center, this schedule flexability is not really existent. Senior and Middle management try their best to be honest and forthcoming.
    If you want something you can ask anyone and they can probably get it for you if you work for it.
    Believe in promoting from within, and encouraging you.

Cons

truthfully, their open door policy on who's getting fired, or what changes are happening can be somewhat stressful at times. you don't feel a sense of job security. their feedback oriented management style just feels pressure-some.

Netflix is a team. A sports team. an ambitious and cut throat team who will trade you off if they see you're not an asset any longer, rather than encourage you to move cross functionally.

Customer Service Is Not For Me

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Frisco, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Frisco, TX (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Customer service in general. For some reason going into this I did not think it would be a typical customer service experience based on my own satisfaction with Netflix for the past 3 years. It's pretty easy work, but so many people who called were lazy and/or arrogant jerks. Some of them made me feel like I was an inch tall. It was emotionally draining, especially for someone as sensitive as I am. The pressure to meet the 0% DSAT also didn't help. The survey asks about the company but it's answer is a reflection of the customer service and high DSATs effect job performance. We're expected to convey a relaxed, friendly attitude and build a personal rapport with the customer, but with pressure of the DSAT it's hard not to make everything sound forced and phony because you want to really turn it on to try get a yes out of the person. I'm an introvert so faking conversations and trying to think of chit-chat was hard for me. Do not take this job if you're sensitive and don't have strong conversational skills. You must get to know the person. It is required. I also wanted to add that the schedules and team leaders are constantly changing. It's extremely frustrating.

Change the survey question.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix