There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

A great career experience while helping to construct the nation's largest defense platform - Aircraft Carriers.

Former Employee - Program Manager - IT  in  Newport News, VA (US)
Former Employee - Program Manager - IT in Newport News, VA (US)

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I retired recently after almost 35 years. I worked the entire time at Newport News Shipbuilding which NG spun off as a separate corporation. Working at NNS allowed me to have multiple careers in various disciplines while remaining in one location while making above average salary and benefits. Your potential is only limited by the restraints you place on yourself. NG and NNS were always open to trying a different route if you were not having success on your current path. You just had to ask and support your rationale for the change.

Cons

Promotion above the supervisor and manager level are limited simply due to fewer available high level positions. If you have your sights set on being a Director, Vice President or CEO, your odds become very slim after age 35 unless you have become one of the "chosen few". If you have to ask yourself whether you are or aren't, then you aren't.

Provide a larger non-managerial advancement path for those not able to reach senior management positions. You need more "fellow" positions.

1743 Other Employee Reviews for Northrop Grumman (View Most Recent)

Great learning experience at a tough time in the defense industry.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom to do a variety of engineering tasks within my discipline

Cons

Several rounds of layoffs in the past few years.

People matter as much as the bottom line.

NGIT

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very professional staff and colleagues who were a pleasure to work with on numerous projects. Outstanding benefit package with excellent training and educational offerings.

Cons

Company is divided into many different divisions with each one having a completely different way of doing business. There is a lot of competition going on throughout the who federal contracting industry and this has forced almost every contractor to scale back on their pay and benefits

There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!