There are newer employer reviews for Northrop Grumman

A great career experience while helping to construct the nation's largest defense platform - Aircraft Carriers.

Former Employee - Program Manager - IT in Newport News, VA (US)
Former Employee - Program Manager - IT in Newport News, VA (US)

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I retired recently after almost 35 years. I worked the entire time at Newport News Shipbuilding which NG spun off as a separate corporation. Working at NNS allowed me to have multiple careers in various disciplines while remaining in one location while making above average salary and benefits. Your potential is only limited by the restraints you place on yourself. NG and NNS were always open to trying a different route if you were not having success on your current path. You just had to ask and support your rationale for the change.

Cons

Promotion above the supervisor and manager level are limited simply due to fewer available high level positions. If you have your sights set on being a Director, Vice President or CEO, your odds become very slim after age 35 unless you have become one of the "chosen few". If you have to ask yourself whether you are or aren't, then you aren't.

Advice to Management

Provide a larger non-managerial advancement path for those not able to reach senior management positions. You need more "fellow" positions.

reviews filtered by
  1. Northrop was a great company to work for. You had many opportunities for advancement.

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Great Salary and working conditions.

Cons

None that I can think of.

2. Good place to work

Current Employee - Subcontracts Administrator I
    Current Employee - Subcontracts Administrator I

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, the take care of their employees and want to keep you working for them. Good benefits including insurance and retirement. Management knows and cares about employees on all levels. There is a big focus on ethics and making quality decisions, which is key because some competitors are willing to cut corners to shave costs and win contracts.

Cons

Unstable environment because of the nature of the business in working with government contracts. the pay scale has been reduced and each position has a range that is allowed to be paid in and getting out of that is nearly impossible.