There are newer employer reviews for Novell

Sad to See a Former Great Company Go Down the Tubes

Former Employee - Application Engineer in Provo, UT (US)
Former Employee - Application Engineer in Provo, UT (US)

I worked at Novell

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, nice co-workers, excellent facilities, bonuses

Cons

The company has a reputation of doing layoffs each year. They are in a downward death spiral that may not bottom out. Working there is pleasant, but you must constantly wonder if you will have a job the next week.

Advice to Management

Stop changing directions every few months. Focus on selling stuff. Stop trying to be "the big player". Novell is no longer a powerhouse.

reviews filtered by
  1. Solid place to work

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT (US)

I worked at Novell

Pros

I enjoyed the atmosphere at Novell as much as anything else. There was always a lot of work to be done, but the expectation was not that anybody had to work 24/7. The people at Novell seemed to care about each other, as people.

Cons

The company's long-term health is somewhat in question. If the Linux strategy doesn't work, they'll have gutted long-term profitable products to meet expense targets and be left with a product that ultimately doesn't produce revenue.

Advice to Management

Trim away products that make no / little money. The company is spread too thin, and the near-constant layoffs are very much a morale drain. Invest in what makes money and require all divisions of the company to do that.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Good portfolio of technology and products, Good work atmosphere, and good work/life balance.

Cons

Poor reputation with customers, Novell brand is viewed as a dinosaur. Operational obstacles, typical of larger organizations as well.

Advice to Management

Marketing re branding, and streamlining processes can bring Novell back to growth

There are newer employer reviews for Novell