Opera Solutions
www.operasolutions.com Jersey City, NJ 500 to 999 Employees

Smart, motivated, excited junior employees...wasted

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople at manager and below levels are great
    - Smart: top schools, top performers
    - Personable: normal people you'd want to grab a drink with
    - Creative: willing to suggest new ideas, and try to learn new things rapidly (as the firm shifts focus)

The idea behind "predictive analytics" is a good one. That said, so is the idea to time travel. Success takes more than an idea. You need to be able to execute on it. Execution is not hiring a bunch of smart people. You need leadership and direction.

ConsEmployees are Mistreated
  - Pay is below market, especially for the hours put in
  - You work 80+ hour weeks, only to be told retroactively you won't get a bonus (3+ months after you were supposed to get it, with ZERO communication or lies in the interim)
  - I have been bonus eligible for 4 years here: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: No bonus in 2009 (financial crisis, understandable), decent bonuses in 2010 and 2011, No bonus in 2012 (even though we were told all year it was our best year ever). 50% bonus rate is unacceptable.
   - Management is sneaky, deceitful, and totally unethical: Both times we got zero bonuses, we were strung along by lies. Management would tell us bonuses were "delayed" for weeks, then months, then complete silence on the matter, then the hammer would drop and we'd be told the truth. They're literally just trying to squeeze water out of rocks.
   - More unethical practices: They closed the Paris office and told the employees they'd have the option to transfer. Then, they stopped answering all communications from the Paris employees, declared bankruptcy in France, and didn't offer transfers (after months of saying they would and leaving the employees in limbo). The French employees had to scramble to find jobs, after being lied to for months. On top of that, management told everyone that the French employees simply didn't accept the transfer offers.
   - You're still expected to work like a consultant, but be paid like

Horrible Execution by Management
   - Senior Management was tasked with facilitating the shift from "consulting" to "technology / product". They have failed. Horribly.
   - Whenever someone who knows what they are doing in the big data / product world (e.g. senior folks from SAP, Oracle, etc.) is brought in, they realize what a mess Opera is and leave within 6 months.
   - Many managers and principals are former consultants, and have no idea what they're doing in analytics projects or product driven projects. Not their fault - they're consultants, but it makes projects extremely frustrating. They haven't been trained, and many have no idea how to deliver a product driven project.
    - Horrible cash management: Hired tons of scientists and sales people who have yet to deliver anything really, while the consultants deliver project after project in "services", working typical consulting hours. Then there is no cash to pay the revenue generating consultants, because cash was burned on scientists, sales people, and failed products.
   - Everything is pretty much smoke and mirrors. Product names and ideas keep changing, but there is nearly nothing tangible to show for it. Consultants are then tasked with spinning this smoke and mirrors into something during business development and sales efforts

Offshore Model
   - The offshore model is extremely frustrating. On analytics projects, huge chunks of teams are in Shanghai and India
   - Hours become unmanageable if you want to be in any way productive due to time zone differences
   - Turnaround times are slow because of the timezones. Though the "24 hour model" is pitched, what it really means is everything takes at least twice as long to do because you can only talk to your team at the beginning and end of each day, and deliverables can then be reviewed, with more wait time in between
  - Communication can be very difficult and inefficient. Lengthy, detailed emails are required, compared to traditional consulting firms where you can just sit with your team, brainstorm, review data together in real time, etc. Huge waste of time, and very stressful, because if the communication is not clear, you lose an entire day of work from the offshore team
   - It is all stemmed from Opera's reluctance to bring teams to the same location to work (because this costs money)

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that your "resources" are people. Though we claim to be a technology and product firm, everyone knows we have basically no real ground breaking products or technology. The magic is in the analytics done on bespoke projects and in the delivery of services projects by consultants. Those results are driven by people. The people are what makes this firm tick, and you are driving your best people out.

Opera has what other companies lack

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros: Opera Solutions is full of young, smart, optimistic people. Maybe too optimistic. As someone who's worked at several companies and in a completely different industry,… Cons: The "flat" organization isn't really flat--nor is it beneficial. It… Advice to Senior Management: Take some management courses. As with most companies, you're all adept in your fields, but managing people isn't it.… More

Promising ideas, mediocre execution

Engagement Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: - Unique approach to solving large business problems by combining consulting and analytics/software, at least as an idea - Very smart, personable, kind and creative people… Cons: - Highly disorganized organizational structure that changes every few months - Lack of communication and transparency - Lack of clear and consistent career ladder - expectations are… Advice to Senior Management: - Communicate honestly with your employees and trust that they can help turn the company around - you hired them because they are smart… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Opera Solutions.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Opera Solutions – Why Work for Us?

Opera Solutions applies advanced analytics to Big Data flows to extract predictive patterns. Our goal is not only to make machines smarter but also (and more important) to use machines’ output to dramatically improve… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opera Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann. All reviews posted anonymously by Opera Solutions employees.