There are newer employer reviews for Oxford University

Your ideas are heard attentively by experts

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Oxford, England
Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I spent 3 months at the Department of Psychiatry of the University of Oxford during my PhD studies. I was a great opportunity to work with state-of-the-art medical devices such as MEG and fMRI sanners, with best processing techniques. The Principal Investigators were very welcoming, we had meetings to share ideas, and the data was provided to me, so that I could develop my own ideas.

Cons

No compensation. Went at my own costs.

95 Other Employee Reviews for Oxford University (View Most Recent)

good and bad

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scientist in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scientist in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- research groups that work to understand the genetic foundation of human disease
    - multidisciplinary research
    - on the edge seminars and talks
    - in- house services like sequencing etc

Cons

- car parking
    - long working hours
    - equipment getting old and brakes often which means a lot of down-time
    - badly organised

Listen to employees feedback.

Great researching resources and students; poor salaries, employment rights and support

Former Employee - Tutor and Instructor in Oxford, England
    Former Employee - Tutor and Instructor in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The students are ambitious and wonderful to teach (mostly), and the libraries and community of scholars is vibrant and ambitious, if occasionally overly-competitive or a few years behind the trends.

Cons

Few, and increasingly fewer, tenured jobs, with more emphasis on by-hour and adjunct teaching, which means no payment for marking and prep. I was once told that, because I was based at a different college to the one I was tutoring for and was a grad student at the time -- that I had no right to photocopy for my students and that therefore any photocopies I needed for class would come out of my £22 per (classroom) hour wage. In general, Oxford knows that the brand has capital, and that academics cannot be choosy about their jobs in this market, and it seems to take full advantage of these facts by treating their employees as people who should be grateful just to be there.

Professionalise your approach: ensure that everyone ranging from full professors and chairs to graduate tutors can benefit from salary and per-hour wage transparency, a clear year-by-year salary/wage ladder, and a federalised expectation of what colleges should be providing to their tutors outside of basic wage and/or salary. In general, federalise teaching provision and payment as much as possible: opportunities, hierarchies and support ranges far too drastically from college to college.

There are newer employer reviews for Oxford University