There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

Changing quickly... but not there yet

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for upward progression as the company's current employees retire, good work-life balance and benefits, focus on turning the company around and investing in operational and customer-related elements is bringing momentum to change

Cons

Stuffy, bureaucratic and conservative culture does not make it an innovative or fun place to work, or an easy place to get things done. As a younger employee, I have few peers and don't feel as though the company is concerned about my development

reviews filtered by

Core values not followed by all in management

Current Contractor - Senior Administrative Clerk in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Senior Administrative Clerk in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, location of office was great and growth for learning opportunities were available.

Cons

Nepotism continues to quiet evident on who gets hired and what pay rate. You may get hired but ability to move up clearly depends on who you know rather than what you know.

Advice to Management

Base more job advancement of job qualifications, outside HR department and better management oversight.

A Company Under Seige

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at PG&E during the Smart Meter, San Bruno, and Prop 46 debacles. Encountered a corporation that was hamstrung at the headquarters, but the employees in the field are some of the best and hardest working people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Management restructures constantly. Company issues talking points then revises them weeks or months later, making representatives lose credibility. Pay and bonus structure is not that great, they only give substantial increases if you're about to leave.

Advice to Management

Stop restructuring. Improve pay for frontline representatives. Argue against policies in Sacramento and San Francisco that hurt consumers.