There are newer employer reviews for PayPal

Lots of opportunity from a great yet imperfect company.

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager  in  San Jose, CA (US)
Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at PayPal full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Friendly and supportive culture--not a dog eat dog environment
-Great benefits and excellent eBay inc. stock program
-High performers are recognized and rewarded
-Current (though not past) management recognizes company challenges and has put bold plans in place to improve.

Cons

The company's core technology and development processes stunt innovation at the company. This makes product development progress incredibly slow and often unsatisfying to all who contribute. This has driven away many talented product managers and developers. eBay also has a penchant for constant reorganization. Every time a new senior leader comes in, a reorganization will be put in place. This flux causes churn and impedes both the company's and employees' goals.

Stop believing that reorganizations solve real problems. I've witnessed this tendency for ten years, and it has yet to yield lasting improvements to the effectiveness of teams.

Give small teams autonomy over product areas with guidance on expected results. Management still
tends to issue product edicts "This product must be built in so in so ways.." that are ill-informed and poorly conceived. Talented professionals who develop and manage products for a living will always produce better product solutions than professionals who run companies and manage people. The skill sets for these roles are not the same, and this needs to be acknowledged. Focus on the results and guide with expectations and core values.

The company *must* improve it's technology processes. All former leaders have failed at this--take the time to understand their mistakes and do not repeat them. Develop a concrete plan for this, and execute well.

742 Other Employee Reviews for PayPal (View Most Recent)

Smart people in a big fast growing company.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at PayPal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits and incredibly smart people. Some of the smartest people I have worked with in my career were at PayPal. Starting to become more of a marketing company and less of an engineering company which I think will only help growth.

Cons

Like any larger company it seems to be too heavily matrixed and there needs to be more communication between regions to take the company to the next level.

More in-house promotions and less global / regional organizational changes.

I had a good time interning at Paypal

I have been working at PayPal as an intern

Pros

Good salary , Good Management ,Good work culture

Cons

Technology needs to improve a lot . Lot of stuff used is from the 90s

There are newer employer reviews for PayPal

Worked for PayPal? Contribute to the Community!