There are newer employer reviews for Plum Creek Timber

Good company.

Current Employee - IT in Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - IT in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Plum Creek Timber

Pros

Generous Bonus Program. 3 Weeks vacation to start for senior folks.

Cons

IT personnel are mostly in MT. Working in Seattle office can be a disadvantage.

Advice to Management

Employees should be able to review their direct managers to their managers manager.

reviews filtered by

An amazing learning experience to jump start my career

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Plum Creek Timber as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Corporate workplace with a family feel. Compensation was great and overtime was allowed. Hours were flexible. Lots of great people with a passion for their jobs and willing to improve and grow. Management rewarded employees regularly for meeting goals

Cons

Guidelines and structure were vague at some points. To many projects were assigned at a time to allow transition to other facilities.

In today's economy, a good employer, yet middle management is territorial and most upper management is earnings focused.

I have been working at Plum Creek Timber full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plum Creek strives to provide a good wage, fair work-life balance, competitive benefits and encouraging environment to its employees. There is a lot of talent within the company and a strong sense of team. Employees have a strong work ethic and you'll find a good number of "career" Plum Creek people. Those who work in the trenches seem most relational and connected to customers or day to day operations. Slackers don't last at Plum Creek. Hard work and value embodies its employees and motto. The land and forestry ethics and practices are exceptional - they strive to surpass legal and morale standards.

Cons

Mid-tier management can be territorial. By this I mean, some take their mid-management position as license to a "good ole boys club" and create a sense of separation-ism. Those with differing viewpoints or creative ideas can, at times, be prevented from advancement or fair compensation. Yes, this exists in most companies. At Plum Creek this appears to be most prevalent in the IT Department - but strides to change are happening. Upper management is strongly focused on performance and company earnings. They attempt to create an "open door" atmosphere with only marginal success. Plum Creek is slightly stuck in previous decades with regards to issues like flex time, telecommuting, virtual presence and dress code (this can vary by department).

Advice to Management

Trust takes time to build and moments to lose. Mid-management needs a purging based on that one principle.

Listen to your employees! What's happening in day to day operations and on the floor is often best understood by THOSE DOING IT. Budgets and spreadsheets are important, but without customer satisfaction and employee morale the race is run much slower.

There are newer employer reviews for Plum Creek Timber