Progressive Business Publications

www.pbp.com
  www.pbp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Business Publications

great place for writers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I can't think of a more exciting challenge for a writer than to work at Progressive Business Publications. You learn to write for extremely busy business professionals who don't have time and who by nature don't want to read. Business-to-business writing is different from any other kind of writing I've ever been exposed to -- and I think I've seen most of it in a 50-year writing and editing career. It's a tough craft to learn, but then again, it's like they say -- nothing easy in probably worth having.

Progressive Business Professionals serves business professionals with critical information for their jobs from Presidents and CEOs to administrative assistants and every other job function in between -- HR, Payroll, Sales, Safety and Environmental compliance management and others. Each audience has its own unique needs. Our writers are trained how to talk to these business professionals and then serve them by selecting the right information just for them from a variety of sources. We got a lot of satisfaction when we hear people tell us we've really helped them become more effective in their jobs. I never felt I had such a direct relationship with my audience when I used to work in general media like newspapers. It's challenging, but it's exhilarating at the same time!

Cons

traffic on US202 (construction seems to be everlasting) can be bad for the commute

think about work-life balance

70 Other Employee Reviews for Progressive Business Publications (View Most Recent)

Progressive Business Publications is "built to last"

Current Employee - Director  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Progressive Business Publications is a company in it for the long-term. More than half of the employees have been around longer than 10 years. That says something. The company has made a huge success of print information, in an age when everyone else is struggling even with digital because of their quick-read, expert-to-expert business format. Others have posted, and it's absolutely true, that the culture is unique (by design) and entrepreneurial -- the job is really what you make of it. No one comes in with a list of job description bullets to follow. At Progressive Business Publications, you have to know your talents and how to leverage them.

Once they prove themselves, business owners become empowered to drive their areas, and there's no small amount of pressure to deliver. The culture is very flat, which makes for a vague hierarchy, but again that's by design. This combination of pressure and gray area is probably not for everyone. Decisions are debated and often determined by consensus. It's a model that has worked for the company time and again as they transitioned from print, into audio, and then into virtual training. Progressive Business Publications stresses the role of collaboration during their recruiting process, and they aren't kidding. It often has the energy of a start-up, but with long-time employees who act as mentors and coaches. Very unique place, very unique opportunity.

Cons

Not a lot of natural light in the HQ, except at the building edges. Would love an updated working space.

Exactly as Promised...It's What You Make Of It

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Progressive Business Publications is a very stable company, with a strong base of business, which allows them to aggressively pursue growth initiatives. As in any entrepreneurial environment, the job is really what you make of it, and is perfect for anybody who knows how to prioritize and go after the top 20% of opportunities. Expectations are high, and potential compensation is strong for those who make an impact.
    Having grown up in the traditional print newsletter business, Progressive Business Publications has made aggressive strides in the digital and e-commerce spaces, creating brand new businesses that leverage its existing content and resources, and makes fast growth possible. If you know how to write a business plan and build a financial model, you can launch a business, and get to profitability much faster than in a traditional setup.
    Business owners are empowered to make decisions, and are clearly on the hook for results. If you like and want true accountability, along with all of the authority to make it happen, this is for you. This is not a place for anybody who wants to coast along.
    During the hiring process, the recruiter and everybody I met with stressed the company's culture and values. I was honestly skeptical as to how far these went within the company, and am happy to say that there is a consistency in this, across all levels and departments. Progressive Business Publications hires smart and talented people, who are also driven and respectful. Don't get me wrong...there is plenty of healthy debate and productive conflict, so you should be comfortable with this, and know that it makes for better business.

Cons

The fast pace of growth initiatives makes for some difficult prioritization discussions and resourcing. As with most companies, this impacts IT work, which can create resourcing issues. This is being actively addressed with stronger project management and ownership of initiatives.
    Also, not a con for me, but if you're looking for a job where you just show up and leave at the appointed times, this is not for you. You will work hard, and have high expectations put on you, so be prepared.

Maintain the balance of high expectations with the empowerment to make it happen, and I'll stick around.

There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Business Publications

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!