Public Consulting Group

www.publicconsultinggroup.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Public Consulting Group

PCG has its issues but its not beyond saving.

Current Employee - Technical Specialist III
Current Employee - Technical Specialist III

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PCG has given me a lot of flexibility in where and how I work, in the projects I'm involved in. There's a lot going on, and if you've got motivation, and can politic a bit, you can get involved in a lot of different things.

Cons

Each dev house seems to be a silo. They don't communicate with one another, and different rules and standards apply to different offices. In Montreal, you have a Win7/whatever-the-latest-thing-from-microsoft house. In other dev offices, ITS limits hardware and software to windowsXP or 2003. There's no consistency.

Consultants drive the business, but often with unrealistic requirements/expectations, and without communication of a bigger picture. This leads to a lot of one-off solutions that are largely redundant.

There's no real communication from the top-down. The company expects you to tow the PCG line and have the cult-of-pcg mentality, but they don't inspire or encourage the way you have to in order to foster that environment.

There is no real communication from the top-donw.

Share the love. The company is profitable in spite of itself. Reward good people. Hire good people. Don't hate on individuals because they don't tow the line. Don't sideline people because of who they've been associated with. We've got a lot of people, and some of us have good ideas.

146 Other Employee Reviews for Public Consulting Group (View Most Recent)

IT is broken and no one is able to fix.

I worked at Public Consulting Group

Pros

The Boston office is in a great location.

Cons

Serious material issues in IT. Complete disarray. Board not commited to IT. IT budgets are a fraction of what they should be.

Outsource all of IT. PCG does not know how to Plan, Budget, Hire, and Manage IT. In the last 5 years, PCG has not had ANY truely successful IT inititives. (anyone on the inside would know this is true).

The Opportunity is what you make it.

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with PCG now for more than ten years. I started at the bottom and made several moves through the company before reaching the position of Director. It wasn't easy. I had to work for it. PCG gave me many opportunities and each time I rose to the challenge. I didn't wait for them to hand things to me. I made my own path and was rewarded for it.

PCG is full of rewarding career opportunities. Each year the company takes a step forward. It evolves and learns from its mistakes. Have an idea to make things better? Stand up and be heard. They do listen.

Now you will hear that IT has struggled to keep pace with current technologies. And that was true. But things are really changing in this area. The staff has doubled and old staff members have been re-energized with the help of a new CIO and a major investment in infrastructure.

Cons

Communication of news and events within the company is sparce.

Invest in communication tools to increase collaboration within and across offices.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Consulting Group