There are newer employer reviews for RaceTrac Petroleum

Burn you out, kick you out!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL (US)
Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managers Salary, Advancement Opportunities, Benefits

Cons

As a store manager, if you are willing to bust your behind and work 60+ hrs, you will be fine. Once you burn yourself out and try to take a breath, your supervisor is stuffing write ups down your throat and telling you your job is in danger. Their is little work life balance because you are forced to give that to your team but only at your cost. Supervisors are only concerned about their next promotion and will use you to make that happen. They push that you develop your store team but they will not help develop you. Expectations are often vague, especially if you are being wrote up, this helps them fire you and that way they'll have paperwork behind it.

Push supervisors to give store managers the same work life balance they expect to give to the entire store. Reward store managers outside of the "special stores (busier locations)".

186 Other Employee Reviews for RaceTrac Petroleum (View Most Recent)

Good and bad

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Arlington, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Arlington, TX (US)

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was nice. And there's always overtime. Actually, you're required to work overtime as a manager in store, so if you're a workaholic like myself, you'll love it. If you're a part-time associate, the schedules are typically very flexible. RaceTrac also offers limited benefits to part-time employees, which is actually a very nice perk.

Cons

The commitment that they require for store manager positions is outlandish. I'm all for working 50 hours a week, and frequently did as a co-manager; however, when you're a store manager (the only in-store position which is salaried), expect to be working 60+ hours a week or be demoted/fired. The pay as a store manager simply isn't worth it unless you're in the top five or ten stores in the region, where the bonuses are nice.

If RaceTrac truly wishes to catch up with QT, like it's trying to do so hard, they need to pay more closer attention to the needs of the people who are actually working in the stores, because that's where the true difference is made. The regional management in certain markets also needs to supervise its area managers more directly, and not let them subject their areas to senselessness.

Misleading slave job

Former Employee - Store Associate in Kissimmee, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Kissimmee, FL (US)

I worked at RaceTrac Petroleum full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The starting pay other then that nothing.

Cons

I went to orientation to this job and everything seems great they make you feel like you can move up in the company and have a great career with them . The same week I went through training the store I was sent to I kept seeing different managers brought in they all had their different ways of doing things . I am not one to complain but when I get trained I like things to stay consistent if there is a way the company does something then stick to that not have 20 people tell you different things to do. After the training they do an evaluation that they do not tell you about also they hire you and do not tell you that they will make you work all week to see if you are good enough to work with them. I went in all week and cleaned and cleaned and did not stop not even to eat because they do not give you a lunch break at ALL . One of the workers there told me they give you no lunch it's against the law but that no one calls to report them because they are scared.The girl stuck me in the freezer 2 days in a row to pull stuff . I understand you teach someone something but wouldn't it make sense after I did it the first day hey let me give this task to another trainee to learn today no I got stuck in the freezer the next day also. I am a hard worker and all my hard work went unrecognized . Then they brought a young girl to do an evaluation when she showed up at work looking like she had not slept makeup smeared all over the place very unprofessional . It was a girl that had not even been the one training me and knew nothing that I had done and this is the person that did my evaluation . They did not once say hey you are doing this wrong everything I did was right but at the end of the week they said I will call you to give you your schedule and never called I kept calling them and then they made me go in the following week in my uniform to put me in the back room and tell me that basically I wasnt good enough for racetrac . When I asked the nicest way possible why they said I was being defensive when I was only asking to better myself. I kept seeing people coming in and never seeing them again and it was because they were doing this to alot of people and when asked where they were to cover it up they would just say oh this person was sent to another store. When you first start they seem so professional and a good company to work for but reality is your work goes unrecognized and it's all about favortisim if they like you then you move up if not they let you go and they did not give me a real reason why I was being let go . It's constant slave work that goes unrecognized .They are very misleading like why tell me we will call you with your schedule and make me come in with my uniform to let me go? they had me calling for days why not tell me you will not have a schedule we wont be proceeding with a job offer. They made me go buy pants for work a belt all black sneakers and work like a slave all week to let me go then told me I had to wait 2 weeks for the pay of that week. My advice to anyone is stay away they pay 9 dollars an hours which is high for a gas station but your work will go unrecognized and you will just waste your time . I was very hurt at the end of this week because I did my best in everything and even when I got there the last day they person training me said oh good your here clock in so you can help me .Thats how much I helped her and cleaned ,but then they told me I wasn't good enough for racetrac I have worked since 12 years old in many places I had a supervisory role in the last job I worked only reason I left was relocation and then here comes a gas station to put me down and tell me I'm not good enough? Come on ! My advice to anyone would be steer away from them if another job pays you a little bit less it's fine you will get a couple of cents less but will save yourself the headache and aggravation. You also get no discounts in the store you have to pay if you want any sandwich or anything full price the only thing you get is free soda and coffee while at work of course coffee to keep you going and soda so you don't dehydrate .

Advice to management remember you started at the bottom one day and you didn't know everything 100% when you started. They seem to forget where they started and then judge everyone that starts and the expect you to know things 100 percent.

There are newer employer reviews for RaceTrac Petroleum