Rackspace

www.rackspace.com
  www.rackspace.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Fun and exciting place to work

Current Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician in DFW, TX (US)
Current Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician in DFW, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent potential for personal and professional growth with consistent challenges to all skills.

Cons

None that I can think of.

504 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

Awesome place to work and learn but w/ very poor pay

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Amazing People (Rackers are some of the best in industry)
    - Awesome CEO. Lanham is fantastic
    - Great culture and work environment
    - You are given the opportunity to do your best every day
    - Wonderful place to learn and be part of something great

Cons

- Abysmal pay bands. So far below the industry averages, its often incomprehensible
    - Cost cutting in the wrong areas (facilities, healthcare, etc.)

Please pay your people what they are worth. Its one of the easiest ways to keep your best and brightest!

Talent and Hard Work is Rewarded

Current Employee - Technical Role in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Role in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm a technical employee. If you work in a customer-facing position, you can learn in months what would likely take years at a normal employer. Most of my colleagues over the years at the Rack have been very friendly, and openly shared knowledge with me.

I see other reviewers complaining about pay, but I know that my pay is absolutely fair. If you are good at what you do, work hard, and know how to sell yourself, you will be generally be rewarded for it. My income is not that far from being double what it was back when I started at the company, 5 years ago.

The company also promotes and hires quite a bit from within. I've been promoted twice to various technical roles based on my interest and the company having faith in me.

Most of the time I feel a bit spoiled... but in a good way... and that gives me incentive to make sure I do my part.

If you're thinking of working at the company, make sure you get decent starting pay. If you are insistent, and in demand, you will have some leeway here. Try to get a good feel for the team and your manager. I know that's a tough order when you don't even work there, but be creative.

Cons

There is a lot of dead-weight around, which is compensated by the true talent at the company.

Some of the managers at the company should not be managers. But to be fair, I've really only had 1 bad one out of the 4 I've had so far. I've heard some bad stories though.

I think the fanatical culture stuff that is imbued upon new employees is a little over the top.

Add a real tuition reimbursement program to our benefits, and constantly work to improve company benefits. A hit to the bottom line is minor compared to the talent we lose each year- so we must try harder to keep them.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace