There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Fun and exciting place to work

Current Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician in DFW, TX (US)
Current Employee - Datacenter Operations Technician in DFW, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent potential for personal and professional growth with consistent challenges to all skills.

Cons

None that I can think of.

489 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

Talent and Hard Work is Rewarded

Current Employee - Technical Role in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Role in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm a technical employee. If you work in a customer-facing position, you can learn in months what would likely take years at a normal employer. Most of my colleagues over the years at the Rack have been very friendly, and openly shared knowledge with me.

I see other reviewers complaining about pay, but I know that my pay is absolutely fair. If you are good at what you do, work hard, and know how to sell yourself, you will be generally be rewarded for it. My income is not that far from being double what it was back when I started at the company, 5 years ago.

The company also promotes and hires quite a bit from within. I've been promoted twice to various technical roles based on my interest and the company having faith in me.

Most of the time I feel a bit spoiled... but in a good way... and that gives me incentive to make sure I do my part.

If you're thinking of working at the company, make sure you get decent starting pay. If you are insistent, and in demand, you will have some leeway here. Try to get a good feel for the team and your manager. I know that's a tough order when you don't even work there, but be creative.

Cons

There is a lot of dead-weight around, which is compensated by the true talent at the company.

Some of the managers at the company should not be managers. But to be fair, I've really only had 1 bad one out of the 4 I've had so far. I've heard some bad stories though.

I think the fanatical culture stuff that is imbued upon new employees is a little over the top.

Add a real tuition reimbursement program to our benefits, and constantly work to improve company benefits. A hit to the bottom line is minor compared to the talent we lose each year- so we must try harder to keep them.

Excellent company with strong culture.

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rackspace has a strong sense of culture and is a very open and friendly place to work. People of all roles are very approachable and willing to assist.

Cons

Sometimes the feeling of being a slightly younger tech company (12 years old) can show. There are a couple isolated departments where it feels like some outside influence would be very helpful for providing direction.

Overall the management is doing a fine job of building a good tech company with engaged employees. Keep our focus on culture and engagement to keep people happy and in roles longer. I do worry about compensation not being on par with other companies as well as fringe benefits lacking in comparison to other big tech companies in the same metro areas as Rackspace.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace