Riot Games

www.riotgames.com
  www.riotgames.com
There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

If you like building Software, then RiotGames is an awesome place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

- A flat organization, engineering driven culture.
- The company rewards risk takers that deliver awesome experience for our players.
- I get to have an impact on millions of players, how cool is that?
- I work with smart, passionate people. They make me a better engineer and developer and I am constantly trying to keep my skills sharp to keep up. I love it!

Cons

- The flip side of a flat organization is a bit of chaos. A bit of chaos can drive innovation, but sometimes it is a bit much. We're working on it.
- We need to improve our ability to create processes that help us build our game better and reduce errors in our pipeline.

160 Other Employee Reviews for Riot Games (View Most Recent)

Exceptional culture; hope you don't mind the pay

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

1) Full of brilliant, energetic, creative people
    2) Every team is working on something awesome
    3) Cultural benefits are great - Outings, lots of food, the works.

Cons

Pay.

Company runs like it's a startup; lean teams responsible for huge features. Thing is, we're not a startup where employees can expect peanuts for long term rewards. With the amount of responsibility that lands in the lap of each employee, salaries should be in the rock star range.

You guys have got to spread the wealth.

Great place to grow.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Riot Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been involved in a few start-ups in my life ; I like having the chance to work in fast paced environment, having input into technical and business decisions, and not feeling like a suit is directing my movement. Riot is an established company that feeds those needs for me. This review is skewed toward that perspective.

Riot has a very flat organizational structure. Regardless of your title you're expected to provide input and go "above and beyond" the basic duties of your job. There are no "closed door" offices in any location I've visited. The president and CEO have the same size desk as everyone else and sit amongst developers and producers. They make themselves available to anyone in the company to chat with.

Although many employees have been here "since the beginning" I haven't seen any sense of entitlement amongst them; everyone is humble and appreciative that we're growing as a team.

Outside of my technical duties, I've gotten involved in the community with Riot. I've had chances to attend conferences and seminars (GDC, E3, local entrepreneurship events), work on a couple internal "level up" initiatives, participate in collegiate events, attend hackathons, and work on some PR ideas. None of these things are in my job title, but I'm interested in it so the sky is the limit.

Finally on the decision-making front... Riot has a bottom-up culture that values employees making decisions instead of management dictating them. I feel like my opinions and matter and are taken seriously.

Cons

Riot attracts "Type A" personalities. Your ability to verbalize your goals and set a direction for yourself might not be for everyone. If you're a strong introvert who can't make an argument for a technology or idea you will be easily drowned out.

There's technical debt to pay down. Much of the debt was created during the "just get something out the door so we can survive as a company" days. It's slowly being paid down but don't expect the cleanest code everywhere. That's probably true of many companies though.

Stay humble.

There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

Worked for Riot Games? Contribute to the Community!