There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Former Employee - Management
Former Employee - Management

I worked at Ross Stores full-time

Pros

Work with a diverse group of people and customers depending on demographics.

Cons

Low wages, no drug testing, revolving door with mgmt/upper mgmt, no loyalty to quality.

When growing a company. The company needs to maintain control from corporate to store level. If the company loses touch with this. Then the integrity of the company as a whole is effected. Maybe not in the short term but in the long term, the effects can be drastic!

898 Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores (View Most Recent)

A slow decline

I worked at Ross Stores part-time

Pros

Three times a year the employee discount of 20% is doubled. You will save so much money on Christmas presents. Really, the merchandise is pretty good.

Cons

Low pay (obviously). Practically non-existent benefits if you're part-time - and if you're not management you will be part-time.

This company defines the word "tightwad". It was not unusual for store employees to run out of wrapping paper, shopping bags, even receipt paper. Supplies wouldn't run out in just one store, but an entire district. Also there were never enough cashiers and floor people on the weekend. Why? Because payroll would get used up in the beginning of the week in the stock room. Don't get me wrong, stock room people are important, seeing as how they actually get stuff unpacked and unto the floor. But its frustrating for customers when they come in on Saturdays (the busiest shopping day of the week) and there's barely any cashiers and no one on the floor to help them. Because those employees got their hours cut.

Ross tries to get away with as few employees in a store as possible, which is common in this industry. But they cut things so close that if one person called out or didn't show (and that happened a lot) every thing collapsed. No one to help lift a heavy piece of furniture for a customer, so we would lose a sale and have an angry customer. No one to take clothing from the fitting room, so there would be piles and piles of apparel filling shopping carts because all the racks were full. No one to get shopping carts from the parking lot.

Also, scheduling was chaotic. Getting vacation time redeemed was a mess, too.

My advice? The only reason you should work here is because you're young, in school, and need a bit of spending money. As soon as you've drained all possible benefits from that, head for the hills and never look back.

Free up some money from the budget so the stores can run more smoothly. And remember that operations-level people are as important to the bottom line as the executives. We were the ones who dealt with the customers every day.

Pathetic

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bolingbrook, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bolingbrook, IL (US)

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's possible to move up rather quickly. If you don't mind being paid minimum wage to supervise other minimum wage people, that is.

Cons

Everything else. I worked there for a couple months opening a store in Bolingbrook, IL. I've worked in plenty of retail stores and been through my share of crap jobs, this one is by far the worst. Everyone I worked with got about 4-8 hours per week, sometimes zero. There were a couple favorites among a staff of 40ish that got 35 a week. It's a terrible store with bad merchandise, which , when coupled that I was only there once a week, gave me no reason to be proud of my job whatsoever. That, and they to squeeze blood out of a turnip, and will fault you for moving too much while opening boxes. I don't need that for any amount of money, let alone minimum wage. The managers themselves were okay, but the company culture is very anti-union, anti-employee, anti-benefit, I wish people would boycott places like these.

Stop the micromanagement. Listen to your employees. Don't overhire and give people 4-8 hours per week. Reward those who deserve it. Stop with all the "motivational" chants, give us incentives to work hard.

There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!