There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Flexible workplace, salary not so good for younger workers

Current Employee - Java Developer in Alexandria, VA (US)
Current Employee - Java Developer in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Very flexible work place (this is really up to my division - not the company as a whole).
Good benefits.

Cons

Poor salaries for newer / younger employees. Times were much better in the years before the company went public, and the raises the older workers got were MUCH higher. Therefore, there is now a de-facto two-tier pay system - one for those there before the company went public, and one for those who began their career afterwards. The older employers make a good 30% premium all other things remaining equal.

Advice to Management

Start working on removing some of the dead weight in middle management and the large amount of poor performers who've been feeding at the trough since 911 bonanza began ten years ago. Many of these workers do not carry their weight, and are becoming a burden on those that perform.

SAIC (and all the other big miliatary / government contractors) are going to run into trouble as the technical talent moves to smaller / younger companies where they're not required to subsidize the large salaries and expensive health bennies of the older workers.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great place to work

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

loyal - really help when you need to be redeployed. Competitive salaries that are fair. Room for growth and mobility.

Cons

don't really have a clear technical or managerial career path, but they are working to get that implemented. So should be intact soon.

Advice to Management

work with employees in terms of mentoring and guiding them in there career path be it managerial or technical, such that a clear course is documented.

Company is going downhill...and it's not just the stock price

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

- High quality Employees
    - Interesting work
    - Promotes social responsibility and employee volunteerism
    - Flexible with respect to working hours

Cons

- Says "people first" but doesn't follow through
    - Insular management at higher levels, with a good deal of "do as I say..."
    - Obsession with making numbers is leading to ethical lapses at all levels of management. Paying lip service to ethics doesn't cut it...there is no follow through
    - Attempts to "realign" services has led to disastrous results for people in the line trying to do work for customers.
    - Sacrificed employee loyalty when IPO occurred....not the same company

Advice to Management

Hold senior leaders accountable for bad results. Enforce policies uniformly at ALL levels (e.g., if rank and file can't use iPads due to security reasons, senior managers shouldn't have them either). Through poor communications, fragmented, stove-piped management, and poorly executed realignment attempts (i.e. "shared services") you've lost a lot of employee (and mid-manager) loyalty, which used to be strong. The only way to get it back is by holding senior managers accountable for CityTime, DCAA issues and disenchanted former employee owners. Clean some house. Walk the talk