There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

Good company to start with

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Arlington, VA (US)
Former Employee - Database Administrator in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company to start with and develop a good resume.
Good benefits.
Good chance to learn.
Good chance to meet professional people and build a good career network.
A lot of career opportunities to explore / develop talents.

Cons

The team I worked with have difficult partners. They were not willing to mentor entry level employees and put negative feedback on them in the performance review. These employees are to be blamed always. They are left alone.

Be patient and concern about new employees as they are still inexperience.

1137 Other Employee Reviews for SAIC (View Most Recent)

Generally a good company

I have been working at SAIC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Offers projects that are cutting edge and have technical challenge. The company thrives on creating and maintaining goods relationships with customers.

Cons

Very little help to find coverage within the company when your current project winds down. You need to help yourself and cultivate good relationships outside your department in order to maintain coverage over the long-term.

Consider more frequent briefings to involve employees in on-going business decisions. Avoid, at all costs, the dreaded four horsemen: Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt, and Disinformation.

Experiencing the culture that Allowed (Encouraged) the "City Time Fraud" Scandal to Happen!

Current Employee - Senior Software in Huntsville, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at SAIC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only real "Pro" is that you get a paycheck. It's nothing great (about average, as far as compensation goes), but it's better than being unemployed.

Cons

Biggest "Con" is the Con-job that SAIC is perpetrating on their government customers! We are being told not to discuss our work outside our immediate group. During one of our software design meetings, the question was asked, "why don't we just ask the customer how they want this implemented?". The answer... "We can't ask the customer, because they don't know we're doing this".

For this particular project, I figure we are charging the government somewhere between $750,000 and $1,000,000 and we are not even telling them what we are doing. Let me tell you, if you are in a meeting and someone asks "is this project 'officially sanctioned' ", and the first reaction is that somebody quickly jumps up and shuts the conference room door... well, that's not a good sign.

I understand that not all SAIC groups are like ours (which is a software development group located in the main SAIC building on Odyssey Drive), however from my experience I have to say that SAIC is NOT a place you want to work!

I am currently seeking other employment, and as soon as I can get another job, I will be leaving SAIC.

Stop behaving unethically.