There are newer employer reviews for Sallie Mae

Good people struggling to turn the ship to calmer waters.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Fishers, IN (US)
Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Fishers, IN (US)

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros

Nice facilities and clean workspace. Onsite fitness center and full service cafeteria. Flexibility to work from home occasionally as needed. Plenty of on-campus parking available. Parking lots and sidewalks are cleared of ice and snow.

Cons

Perpetual downsizing and layoffs due to the loss of FFELP business model. Company is struggling to create new business lines to replace revenue. The cost of health benefits are high due to a largely aging workforce. Majority of computer equipment (5+ yrs old) needs replaced.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to develop "innovative" products that students and parents do not need. Focus on proven business models and expanding lower risk debt portfolio. Sell the company.

reviews filtered by
  1. A job is a job

Former Employee - Collector in Muncie, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Collector in Muncie, IN (US)

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros

I was an excellent collector. If you can hit goal, you will make alot of money. On the federal side Student Assistance Corporation (SAC) when you hit goal you get $400.00

Cons

You have to spend alot of time there to hit goal. Management wants you to live there because by you hitting your goal they hit theres. They want you to work 55+ hours a week and make you feel bad when you dont.

Advice to Management

Listen to the collectors more. The collectors know what works and dosent. Change the scheduling too. This is one of the few call centers where you work weekends!

2. Everything was great up to about 2008.

Former Employee - Customer Profile Services Analyst
    Former Employee - Customer Profile Services Analyst

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros

They do have a good benefits package. Every department I worked in recognized good job performance and rewarded it accordingly.

Cons

The company went through tremendous change with a lot of downsizing over the last couple of years. Changes aren't always effectively communicated by upper management.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open, especially in hard times. It would make the employees more at ease.