There are newer employer reviews for Six Flags

Alright for first job, I wouldn't go back though.

Current Employee - Lead in Valencia, CA (US)
Current Employee - Lead in Valencia, CA (US)

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, Good hours in peek season, meet a lot of people, free soda for food service, relatively easy promotion

Cons

no hours in off season, they generally do not like to have you work over 6 hours unless they have a big event happening- Food service magic mountain, WAY understaffed

Have some empathy, It always seemed like you expected people to know exactly what to do with out telling them anything, IE if it is a slow day over all but my building was busy you would still expect me to send people home? or to another location. it was understaffed a lot!

471 Other Employee Reviews for Six Flags (View Most Recent)

Great Summer Pay, but terrible uniforms

Former Employee - Ride Operator in Arlington, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in Arlington, TX (US)

I worked at Six Flags part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get paid weekly and the amount you can earn doing the summer is great

Cons

The uniforms are atrocious. The bright green shirt is see-through so you have to wear a white undershirt. Even during those Texas summers of 100+
    Also you have to pay for everything you have to wear beside socks and shoes. So forget about that first paycheck.

Get uniforms that don't require something to wear underneath.

Physically Exhausting, Crazy Customers, and Little pay

Former Employee - Parking Lot Attendant in Valencia, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Parking Lot Attendant in Valencia, CA (US)

I worked at Six Flags part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was fortunate enough to have some great bosses and coworkers, despite what most people get.
    The entire department is 18 and older only, so no high school kids are there.
    The job itself involves doing multiple things:
    1. Parking Cars
    2. Speaking through a microphone on the back of a tram
    3. Standing at a crosswalk to stop people when the tram is approaching
    4. Taking care of dogs
    This was easy enough, you have someone fill out paperwork for their dog, then sit in in air-conditioned/heated room with the dogs. You are not allowed to touch the dogs unless it is some sort of emergency (like they are running away), and you are not allowed to feed the dogs anything, even if the owner brings in food. You are allowed to replace their water. About 50% of the time you would get a dog that would not stop barking really loud or making shrieking sounds. When this didn't happen, the job was awesome because you get to be alone and be in air conditioning. The paperwork only takes a minute to sign.
    5. Emptying all the trash

The tasks themselves sound easy enough but the people and conditions make it incredibly difficult.

Breaks would be incredibly extended because the way you are put into each job is by sitting in the back of a pick-up truck that drives you there and drops you off. I would have 20-30 minute breaks (instead of 10), and sometimes my 40 minute lunch would turn into a 1 hour 20 minute lunch. The time the truck takes to drive you to the break area does not count as break time.

Cons

1. Parking Cars is the most stressful thing I have done in my life, the parking lot desperately needed repainting and at times I was parking people into lines I could barely see. For each space you park one car all the way forward and then one car behind it. People are scared to go in and sometimes start single parking themselves and before you know it there are 50 cars single parked. If it's busy, people will stop and yell you about how they need to park somewhere else, even though you can't allow them, holding up an entire line.

2. Speaking on the back of the tram was alright, Im surprised my voice never gave out from doing this non-stop somedays. The script is very easy to remember. You also have to check the tram for lapsitters or strollers, which were guaranteed to happen at every stop, and the people are usually unwilling to stop lapsitting or think it's ridiculous that you have to take their stroller. Also, after going through all 3 stops in the parking lot and clearly saying what section they are, you will always have someone saying how "You guys didn't stop at my spot" then you have to inform the drivers to make a stop on the way back. The only political thing for this job was the driver/tram speaker relationship. Early on I would be informed that certain drivers didn't like me because I didn't do___ but I always worked my hardest and cared about what I did and they never made an effort to tell me themselves. I would have to find out through other people, and I never knew if certain drivers disliked me as a speaker or not.

3. Crosswalk is dreadful. You stand in the middle of the intersection between the parkinglot and a sidewalk with a metal stop sign that you hold up when people need to stop crossing because the tram is approaching. The problem is that most people are naturally assuming that you are holding up a stop sign for the tram, makes sense. But when you hold out your hand and say stop as well as holding up the sign you would think people would get the message, when they do realize they have to stop walking they get very angry. The "Tram road" looks like the rest of the parking lot but it has a series of small metallic polls separating it. There are no sings to say "no walking" or to show that it is a tram road so you have a group of people that start walking in it, then suddenly hundreds in a chain following them. Then you have to yell at people for the next hour to get out of the tram road, most would ignore me or couldn't understand me. You would stand in that one spot for 3 hours in a row holding a metal sign and my back would kill me.

5. Taking out the trash. This involved you and another person walking 2 barrels each from the parking lot area (at the end of the parking lot) all the way to the front, then yanking out the lined trash bags from each can, tying it, and putting it into the barrel. Alot of the times you would have groups of bees in a trash can or the bag would be broken and brown liquid coming out. By the time you get mid way through your barrels are heavy and you have to compress stuff to make room and it is exhausting.

While the break system does have its pros, it also means that you have no correspondence with your bosses and in some positions you have no correspondence with any workers. Anytime someone complains to see a supervisor I am unable to help them out because I have no access to see them. You also have no idea when you are going to be picked up. Sometimes you would be out there just half and hour before swapping with someone else, sometimes it would be 3 to 3 and a half hours and at that point you will be exhausted just hoping you will see the truck show up.

Overall it was a really bad place to work, however I did have amazing and relaxed bosses and mostly great coworkers. The jobs themselves would be incredibly easy if people weren't so crazy, holding up a stop sign when you see a tram should not be so mentally stressful but it is. Same goes for all of the other jobs (besides watching dogs). I would not recommend going here unless you really need the money and can't get employed anywhere else.

The schedules were never right, it might say 8am-2pm but you could be there till 12, 4pm, just whenever they let you off. The days I worked I rarely got off at the time I was supposed to. Give an estimate of time when you drop people off of when they might expect to be picked up.

There are newer employer reviews for Six Flags