If looking for a temporary position, Special Counsel is a place to look.

Former Employee - Document Reviewer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
Former Employee - Document Reviewer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Special Counsel

Pros

If you have not secured a permanent position for after graduation, it is a good place to find quality jobs and competitive pay. The people I worked with at Special Counsel were respectful and I felt actually worked to get me different jobs while I was temping for them. While pay was not at the top, it was competitive with other similar work.

Cons

Jobs are temporary. Not likely to find a temporary to hire position without significant experience. Document review opportunities can be limited in tough economic times. It is also difficult to obtain your first document review job if you have no prior experience in document review. Most firms are looking for persons experienced in specific software for their document review. Work can also become tedious over time. While not a likely good career choice (as far as document review), it was good link between graduation and my first permanent job as an attorney.

Communicate more with employees to keep morale high. Offer constructive criticism. Offer more opportunities for advancement.

Other Reviews for Special Counsel

Leave your dignity at the door if you do contract work for Special Counsel.

Former Employee - Document Reviewer/Contract Attorney  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Document Reviewer/Contract Attorney in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Special Counsel

Pros

If you are an attorney or law graduate and need some quick extra cash.

Cons

Polite people but the environment is patronizing.

You need to change your philosophy. Just because an attorney is willing to work as a temp does not mean that they should be treated like they work at Mickey Ds. Also, pay attention to the physical work environment. I have worked for Special Counsel on three different assignments in two cities and consistently their off-site work environments are crammed and uncomfortable. Many attorneys have been shocked to find this and it affects morale. Word of mouth will eventually catch up with your tactics...even in a less than stellar job market there are alternatives out there.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Legal Consultant- Contract Attorney  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Legal Consultant- Contract Attorney in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Special Counsel as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The firms that I have worked with through this agency are top-notch. The staff at SCI is professional and responsive. If you are professional, hardworking, and are liked by the firms, they will keep you working.

Cons

Communication regarding the length, duration, and start of projects are sometimes lacking--- which is understandable because they are also dealing with the firms who are dealing with the client and the electronic services provider (and so it goes..); however, They should try to get information (even if it's simply that they are awaiting information from the client etc) over to contract attorneys who often times waiting "in the dark." The insurance that they offered to Consultants was terribly expensive and awful. They have now eliminated the insurance due to the Affordable Care Act' Health Exchange.

Continuing pursuing and maintaining great relationships with great firms.

There are newer employer reviews for Special Counsel.

Worked for Special Counsel? Contribute to the Community!