There are newer employer reviews for Spurwink Services

Incredible work is accomplished here. Senior management needs to improve.

Current Employee - Director in Portland, ME (US)
Current Employee - Director in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Spurwink Services

Pros

Incredible work is accomplished here. Life work a balance is possible.

Cons

More leadership direction is needed.

The organization would benefit if employees were on the same page.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Spurwink Services (View Most Recent)

Easy burnout/emotionally mental exhaustion

Current Employee - Therapeutic Foster Parents in Portland, ME (US)
    Current Employee - Therapeutic Foster Parents in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Spurwink Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping clients being a safe presence in their lives

Cons

Burn out, clinicians talk in circles

Support your direct care workers/have their back

Amazing opportunity to help others while only being superficially supported and recognized by upper management.

Current Employee - Educational Technician III
    Current Employee - Educational Technician III

I have been working at Spurwink Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Spurwink provides extensive training upon hire that centers around Cornell's Therapeutic Crisis Intervention, the NAPPI escort training developed years ago by a Maine native, American Heart Association CPR, among many, many other topics. Spurwink has a diverse group of employees from around the work that work with children and adults with special needs from around the world. There is never a dull day at Spurwink, which only lends to a stronger bond between those in the "trenches". It is very hard work that is equally as fulfilling and rewarding...karmically or spiritually...or for your humanity. The newest pro to Spurwink is the new President, Eric Meyer. He seems to be pointing Spurwink in a good direction that will eventually allow it to retain valued employees and further the positive reputation of Spurwink as an employer.

Cons

The upper management at Spurwink makes it clear to employees that without their employees doing such amazing work the company would not have the astoundingly positive reputation for direct care that it has. That recognition ends with the e-mail and maybe a few brief words at a "recognition dinner" where employees from around the state must find their own transportation, housing, and drinks for the night. In the almost 10 years I have worked at Spurwink we have only received one "raise'. It was only a few years ago and brought direct care employees (no matter how long their tenure) up to $10 an hour. Ed Tech III's went up about 30CENTS. That's it in 10 years. Benefits and vacation days/holidays have been cut. I know of someone who sells insurance to companies and Spurwink's HR Director refused to talk to them because "we are happy with who we have". I have been told we may have the worst insurance in the state at this moment. Employees are not valued. If a hard working employee sticks around, it's because their personal fulfillment outweighs the financial need.

Don't form committees to figure out how to retain valued employees. Eric Meyer, or someone who can make decisions/changes, take a personal look at our annual evaluations. Determine who you would want to keep. Talk with each one of those people personally and figure out what has to change. We are people working with people with special needs who need help.... and now we employees need upper managements help. While we work at Spurwink we are financially sinking as we watch others around us keep up with society.

There are newer employer reviews for Spurwink Services