There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University

Hard to get in, hard to leave

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Palo Alto, CA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

This is the elite of academia
Profit is not the motive
training and professional adv budgets are good
currently college tuition benefits for children of staff is re-imbursed at 50% of Stanford tuition

Cons

It can get political - various kingdoms
I have been seeking career advancement on a technical (non managerial) track and was assured by the director 4 years ago this was possible.
Well, 4 years ago I am still waiting for an update in my job title (I have increased my value via certifications and accomplishments 10x)

trickle down
have an outing with your staff (besides an icecream social in the office)

727 Other Employee Reviews for Stanford University (View Most Recent)

Good job once you park and get to the office

Current Employee - Web Developer in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

They know they're not competitive on salary so they try to have great benefits to make up for it. The place offers a good work/life balance, tuition/childcare programs (work there for five years and your kid gets money to pay tuition at any college), lots of options for health insurance at relatively reasonable prices, continuing education opportunities, and nice touches like free Caltrain passes. You have to work hard but not too hard. It's a good, steady job and you know what to expect most days. It's not saving the world, but it still feels meaningful enough. Management treats people like adults.

Cons

Parking. Seriously. Parking on campus sucks. Most technical jobs have a work @ home option at least some of the time, but you're still probably going to be looking for a parking space three or four days a week. Biking is an option in good weather, if you're brave enough, or you can take public transit and the free shuttle from Caltrain. It takes a while to get where you're going, but it's about even compared to a bad parking day. The other risk is that you might have to interact with actual college students, but it can usually be avoided.

None, I like the place.

Can be a great place to work

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Stanford, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Stanford, CA (US)

I worked at Stanford University

Pros

A lot of flexibility to cultivate experience and advance within the organization. If you work for the Athletics Dept. you receive season tickets for many and/or all games.

Cons

Parking can be a challenge depending on location. There can be a lot of elitism and politics (but what organization doesn't have that).

Not enough interaction to have input on.

There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University