There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

realistic

Former Employee - Real Estate Representative
Former Employee - Real Estate Representative

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

the people there are amazing, the environment is fun and safe, the company provides it self on servicing the community.

Manager was fantastic, fostered team work, and growth.,

Cons

the company lacks communication between departments, etc

It is a very hard environment to work in right now, too many lay offs all happening too often.

focus on what's important, keep people happy, and go back to your core.

4852 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Fun with great benefits... if you don't mind the hourly pay and tired feet.

Former Employee - Shift Manager in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Benefits, meeting new people (fellow employees as well as the regulars that come in), fun environment, opportunities to grow within the company if you're really serious. Free pound of coffee beans EVERY WEEK. Free coffee drinks while you're on you're shift. You learn a lot of things at this job without even realizing it. Communication and socialization skills will soar. Efficiency and level of calmness during chaos will also increase.

Cons

The pay SUCKS. Minimum wage starting. Assistant managers start around $12-14/hr in most places. I could find an office job where I can sit and relax that pays more than that. This job is tiring because you're constantly running around. You will also feel like crap because a lot of the people who come in are just there for themselves and will not show you once ounce of respect... so you eventually get used to just letting things go.

None. It really depends on who the person is. I can't give just a broad statement to all.

Starbucks--not what it used to be

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Starbucks was a great place to work for many years. You were really treated as a business owner and could make decisions for your store based on your partners, customers, and business. There was a framework, of course, but within it the store managers were generally left to run their businesses. You were held accountable for your P&L results. Successful managers were rewarded with high payouts on their bonuses. Unsuccessful managers were coached by their District Managers in an effort to improve performance. Starbucks truely lived by the Mission Statement and Guiding Principles and Store Managers based their daily decisions on them.

Cons

Over the past year the leadership team at Starbucks completely changed its style to micromanagement. Results no longer mattered. The leadership was more concerned about if you acheived their goals the exact way that they laid out for you to meet them. Promotional goals became a strict focus even if it meant driving down average transactions. So, for instance, instead of suggestively selling an item that we genuinely thought our customer (Joe) might like today based on what he ordered and what we know about him, we were made to force the same products on our customers everyday in order to meet one specific goal. Essentially we were no longer allowed to think for ourselves and those who questioned it were weeded out.

I would say that there are better ways to save money in the company than at the expense of our partners. My recommendations are :
    1) Get rid of EcoSure--The health inspectors do this for free and SMs/DMs should be able to assess operational standards as part of their regular jobs.
    2) Don't spend money on laptops for every store. Sure, it may be convenient, but it is not a necessity.
    I would also say that they should say what they mean and mean what they say. Don't tell us in NoLa at our leadership conference that we are going to be business owners again; then afterwards, micromanage us more than ever. Don't tell us that there are no more planned layoffs; then the next week layoff 700 more people.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks