Starwood Hotels & Resorts

www.starwoodhotels.com
  www.starwoodhotels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

It's a nice company to work for.

Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX (US)
Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks are pretty phenomenal.

Cons

I don't have any cons to list.

Hire leaders that know what they are doing... fire the dead weights.

665 Other Employee Reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts (View Most Recent)

feedback

Current Employee - Guest Service Associate in Udaipur, Rajasthan (India)
    Current Employee - Guest Service Associate in Udaipur, Rajasthan (India)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

good scope of learning and growth.

Cons

in season time long working hours we do not get 6 holidays because staff is less.

in season time we do not get 6 holidays shifts gets stretched .this negative points can be turn in to positive points by making some provision like any person who had completed 1 year in property but for some reason got most less number of holidays should be given 3000 rs as a reward so that any person who is getting less holidays will still remain satisfy that he might get that 3000 rs.

Nice people and good benefits, but disfunctional technical environment

Former Employee - Java Developer in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, good benefits, a gym that was quite handy to deal with stress, relaxed environment. Good pay for the area if not top dollar.

Cons

Technology wise, Starwood is pretty backwards, the technology level is about 15 years behind the times, and not a very good place if you're seeking to learn from the best and brightest. Starwood had a period of extensive outsourcing and it shows, the codebase cannot be compiled without a lot of hacks, employs non-existent standards, obsolete technolgy, and a decade of offshoring has left the code a hideous mess. There is not a lot of training and to make it worse, the offshore personnel can be rather territorial with their knowledge. They will be polite but not overly helpful, and good luck if your task is dependent on offshore co-operation, there will be none unless you escalate the issue up and down the management chain. There is some effort to modernize the code, but the effort is medicore and half-hearted at best. Management is not very engaged, I didn't see my manager for 4 months after I was hired, so had to go it alone with solving my issues of wrapping my head around the technology and terminology. At the end I just left and while I miss the generous paycheck, my outlook in life has improved considerably. Starwood is a depressing and demoralizing place to work if you're a person who prides him or herself in being good with technology.

So in short, go for the outstanding pay (as long as you can last on the job), but don't expect anything but days of endless frustration and zero to none collaboration with your technical co-workers, most of them won't be there long as they're rotated in and out of the country frequently. Collaboration is non-existent, you will often find that your offshore co-workers just stub out your code checkins and not tell you why they did that. Your manager will most likely disappear for weeks and end, never return your e-mails, and seem to hope you'll magically fix everything beyond your control.

Instill some strong leadership. There needs to be a bit of cleaning house to instill technically-oriented managers who are not afraid of institutional pain to put some teeth into the modernization plans that have floundered for the past few years.

There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts