I enjoy working for the dept. of corrections as a nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Adrian, MI (US)
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Adrian, MI (US)

I have been working at State of Michigan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great coworkers, Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Wondering if I will have a job due to talk of privatizing when the budget is in crisis

Other Reviews for State of Michigan

Great Benefits for sure, great pay depending on your friends

Former Employee - Tech  in  Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Tech in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I worked at State of Michigan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, no doubt. Plenty of time off, very flexible, every crazy holiday you can think of.....

Cons

It's a political atmosphere, your advancement is usually by who you know, not what you can do. This is true of course in the private world but not at the same level. Department of Technology is pretty much a holding place for those they can't fire. So many times over my 12 years did I see someone who'd be fired in the real world be placed at a made up job cause it's just too hard to fire them. I had my chance to make big bucks by being a suck up and "play the game", but that isn't in me so I quit. Granted my benefits aren't the same but I've advance more in pay the last couple of years in the private world based on actual production than I did in 12 at the State.

So basically if you can play the game, don't care you're wasting tax payer money, you can do pretty good. It doesn't matter how good of a job you do, it comes down to playing the game.

This is a beast that has been built over decades. I'm sure it's the same at all levels of Government, and large corporations like AT&T or Ford. So I "advise" to fire about a 1/4 of the work force who are truly dead weight, but reality is this beast will only grow, that's part of the game.

Great student job, flexible schedule, very good pay

Current Employee - Student Assistant  in  Lansing, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Lansing, MI (US)

I have been working at State of Michigan as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Pay, flexible schedule, good people/culture. Laid back environment.

Cons

Varying workload, no health insurance or paid vacation/sick days etc for students

There are newer employer reviews for State of Michigan.

Worked for State of Michigan? Contribute to the Community!