Steak n Shake

www.steaknshake.com
Engaged on Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake

Great Experience

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Tampa, FL (US)
Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

Full benefits on day 1. I got the salary I asked for. I have a 5 day work week and If I pick up any extra shifts I get paid for those days on top of my salary. Bonus is easily achievable. Im very pleased to be working there!

Cons

Insurance is ok but could be better. I have great hourly employees who have poor benefits and absolutely no raises in pay regardless of tenure.

378 Other Employee Reviews for Steak n Shake (View Most Recent)

One to never do again

Current Employee - Manager in Lake in the Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Lake in the Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at Steak n Shake

Pros

What pros?
    Some nice staff and occasionally decent fellow managers. Regulars can be fun as well to help you get threw your shift.

Cons

Hours suck, pay sucks. They talk up your pay but after the actual hours you put in for a week you are lucky if you make $4.00 an hour as a manager. $35,000 a year for a required 50 hours a week but you put in 60 + hours. Districts forget that they were once in this boat and you would think that they would have more respect. Its okay for some to break rules but not others. And we are talking BIG rules. You have to kiss their asses everyday just to get any type of respect. Oh and lets not forget NUMBERS. If any one knows there are no such things as set meal rushes. And unless you really put in alot of extra work you will never know when you are going to get hit. But the scheduling manager never seems to care about that. they only care about their own shift. Every know how to critize especially the new CEO, but can they really do what it takes to run a store themselves.

Walk the Walk before you Talk the Talk. Its not so easy and to give up raising your kids its not worth it.

Don't even consider it!

Former Employee - Server in Peoria, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Peoria, IL (US)

I worked at Steak n Shake

Pros

The co-workers were usually fun and easy to get along with. And the schedule flexibility was tolerable. I even worked with a few managers who were pretty decent and easy to work with. They have the potential to be great if they could get a better CEO.

Cons

This company is an absolute atrocity. The customer base is probably the worst in the restaurant industry. No one appreciates the rudest of customers.

And then there is management. They have the company riding their tails so hard they feel the need to treat their employees like scum. Not to mention their manager turn over rate is embarrassing. In three years I worked with three different general managers and probably about 15 managers total. And most of them were awful. I couldn't believe half of them had a highschool diploma let alone a college education or equivalent work experience.

On another note their policies were outrageous and ever changing. And you had to agree to them or be terminated. For example the most recent being taking 2.5% of servers' credit card tips to pay for the companies credit card processing fees. No I'm not joking. How can you justify practically stealing from your employees? On top if that don't hope for a raise because they don't offer them. Except the three raises I got WHEN MINIMUM WAGE WENT UP. Basically you can help your store bonus for the period and earn an extra 50¢ per hour, but its based on impossible to meet standards. Or you can be promoted through the company which is a joke cause anyone there long enough to be offered a promotion knows better than to take. Sure Ill be your trainer for a quarter more an hour with tons of extra responsibilities!

My favorite part would probably be their 40% employee discount. Oh jolly! A reason to look forward to work and their disgusting food.

Work a day in a store and see what its like. Also you should provide employees with more incentive to work for the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Steak n Shake