There are newer employer reviews for Stryker

Great people, very positive environment, good compensation- Stryker is a company that values its employees.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Mahwah, NJ (US)
Current Employee - Program Manager in Mahwah, NJ (US)

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

Positive environment, generous compensation. Impact an individual can make on the company as a whole

Cons

Benefits are good, but not great. Inter-division communication is lacking, as is communication between departments within divisions.

Foster greater communication and synergies between divisions. While it's admirable the freedom with which the individual divisions can function, there needs to be some factors that foster inter-divisional synergy.

523 Other Employee Reviews for Stryker (View Most Recent)

Great Marketing, Poor Quality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

Stryker prides itself on being innovative and cutting edge. We are typically first to market with some of the most novel technologies on the market. We hire very energetic, competitive people who are willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Cons

Since everyone who works at Stryker is typically a type-A, competitive, achiever type personality, there is the expectation that everyone will work long hours. Although work-life balance is supported, you are definitely the exception if you leave at 5pm each day. Also, there is a "cheerleader like" mentality that influences people's behavior and it makes a big difference who your friends are. To move up in the ranks, being part of the in-crowd is very important. The pay varies greatly for different people in the same position, and its all about what you are willing to negotiate for. Right now the buzz word is "Quality" with "Where innovation meets quality" as the slogan. But the truth of the matter is, there are not a lot of managers in the quality department who are willing to change business practices enough to make the shift. The goal is still to launch new products faster and more often, and we are forced to sacrifice quality to do so.

Although this may sound strange, considering the economic times we are in, I think layoffs are needed. We need to trim the fat of the organization and cut those individuals who are in the positions that they are in because of the who their friends are. We need to rejuvenate the organization with talented, experienced individuals who know more about design for manufacturability. We also need to put more new products on the back burner and focus on the ones we have in the market.

Quality Engineer at Stryker Endoscopy

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

1. Large company with the ability to move around to a lot of different positions
    2. Very dedicated workforce that is committed and hard working - it is great to work with people like this
    3. Excellent 401k (4%) / profit sharing (7%)
    4. Pays for a lot of training to improve their employees
    5. Prior to the recession, company was very generous in terms of finance to keep employees engaged. They paid for quarterly team off-site activities (white water rafting, wine tasting, et...), team happy hours, generous tuition reimbursement, quite a bit of travel to domestic and international vendors with very little attention paid to expenses (within reason), not taking vacation hours when you take time off
    6. Yearly goals tied to a bonus (typical yearly amounts in the $2-$5k range)

Cons

1. Quick turnover or transition to different position creating lack of consistency. This makes it difficult to really make improvements in any position because by the time you are ready to make significant changes you are moving on to the next position and job.
    2. Management acts like they want honest feedback from employees, but really only want to hear positive feedback. No significant changes come out of yearly engagement studies
    3. Tend to promote bubbly "yes" people, not the most qualified
    4. You will be worked quite hard with a lot expected of you. Their recruiting process does a tremendous job bringing in great talent, but there is always the pressure to perform.
    5. No flexible work schedules despite the fact that most of the office has laptops and could work remotely if allowed.
    6. General feeling within the company is that we are underpaid, but benefits help make up for it

Management places an enormous amount of value in the Gallup hiring poll (which I have to say works quite well). However, they do not take employee feedback in the yearly Gallup survey on engagement seriously. Listen to your employees about how to make it better.

There are newer employer reviews for Stryker