There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

Good career advancement within the program, not so much elsewhere

Current Employee - Rotational Leadership Development Program in Wellesley, MA (US)

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Work life balance, people are very nice, good hours. Depending on your role (this is talking specifically to RLDP), interesting work. RLDP program is great although bogged down by HR. Not too happy with HR but within the program we get tons of access to senior leadership and there is definitely an effort to develop us.

Cons

Slow. very slow. Many people are lifers and not ambitious. It can be hard to advance depending on where you are as there are too many layers of management in some instances. Culture is just kind of static which kind of sucks for young people.

Less layers of management, make it a bit more fast paced. IMPROVE TECHNOLOGY.

300 Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life (View Most Recent)

A CSF Position

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Decent Training from head office
    Senior Advisors are Willing to help

Cons

Sales managers are terrible
    Toxic office environment

Very misleading career

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Flexible Schedule.
    Good entry level if you are new to the industry.

Cons

It's really interesting to see the views from the other side of the table. I work for Sunlife on the sales force team both as a financial advisor and before that as a Sales Manager. This company, although they try to appear as they are ethical, they are a wolf in sheep's clothing. They will lie about anything in order to decieve people into joing their offices. I have stayed quiet all too long and really need to get this off my chest. They are one of the cheapest companies I have ever experienced and even though they claim to pay high commissions, they only pay on their system that keeps an advisor in the highest productivity while drawing away from any type of social and family life in order to maintain this productivity. They even train you to incorporate business talk into all of you social networks. I don't think they understand that sometimes you want to talk to your friends over drinks without bringing up sunlife! Another reason why this company is so unethical is that they make the advisor pay rent for the office, internet use, telephone use, and for any type of office supply. They even make you pay for your benefits. How sick is this! That a group coverage provider makes their own advisor pay for a group plan that you can not opt out off which generally cost 400+ depending whether your single or with a family. The last straw for myself was the fact that I had to pay $200 in order to go to the company christmas party. What kind of legit organization makes you pay for a company christmas party! I don't even celebrate christmas! When I first joined Sunlife, they keep reminding you that the high turnover rate is because people are lazy and do not have good work ethic, however now I know why individuals tend to leave. You can only allow yourself to get screwed for so long. I have done extremely well when I first started as a Advisor, attending their conventions, making all the campaigns, but now I look back and realize how much money I have hemerged out into this business in terms of prospecting and business expenses. I would have done things very differently many years ago and would have never joined this immoral, unethical company who lies, cheats, and steals from the people who place faith in them. For anyone looking at a career with Sunlife as an Advisor and you happen to be reading this, please don't believe everything they say, they might look the part however their whole goal and pay structure is to bring you in and make you sell insurance. Although they say they are holistic, the pay structure is concentrated on insurance, management gets paid very little on investement, mainly on insurance and mainly on advisor less than 2 years in the business. If you have a university degree, don't waste it here. They reward the quantity unethical salesman, not the quality ethical financail advisor. I will be leaving Sun Life, and this is one experience I would love to forgot.

There is no such thing as Management, mainly they are all Recruiters!!!
    Sunlife has destroyed a once good organization

There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life