Great place to work if you're good at what you do

Former Employee - Manager  in  McLean, VA (US)
Former Employee - Manager in McLean, VA (US)

I worked at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Good opportunities for growth, support from highest levels (up to CEO) for employee satisfaction

Cons

Company going through financial hardships due to very poor management by prior leadership team. Necessary sacrifices have been made but this is a short-term issue. Once the company is back on its feet it will be wildly successful again.

Severely lagging behind in technology. Again, this is a direct result of very poor management by the prior leadership team. Bringing the company back up to speed in all areas will take substantial time and a good amount of money. No one should expect this to happen quickly.

Keep doing what you're doing, communicate to all levels of team members.

Other Reviews for Sunrise Senior Living

Don't let Sunrise fool you!!

Current Employee - Department Head
    Current Employee - Department Head

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

The opportunity to enrich the quality of life of senior citizens, relatively good benefits, a good place to start in the health care industry. This is an excellent company to begin your career assisted living. Everyone gets to share in all the tasks of day to day operations and you will become a well rounded senior care professional.

Cons

Since last year, staffing has been cut by as much as 30% making the company's promise of quality senior care next to impossible to meet. As a department head I have been asked to do more with less, just as other companies do; however, we are not making widgets, we care for senior citizens. In communities with over 100 residents you may have 7 care givers and 2 medication technicians on staff. Not enough in my humble opinion to give the type of care the company claims to be able to provide.

Regional management, area staff, and VPs are only concerned with one thing right now and that's marketing. Nothing is more important than "raising census" or obtaining new residents. No one will suggest that a company should not make a profit but this company is so focused on the bottom line, it has lost sight of its core mission. They put so much focus on the quality service review, an internal audit, that management doesn't pay attention to much else.

Paperwork here is a nightmare. Of course all companies have admin items to do, but the redundant nature of all the reports and reports of reports is overwhelming. It seems as though the communities support the corporate office and not vise-versa.

Finally, the employment turn over should speak volumes to anyone. Exceptional employees get overworked and are taken advantage of for little compensation. Your name on a plaque as employee of the month is nice recognition but don’t expect anything else. Raises are a flat 2%. This means that an average employee will get the same raise as a highly exceptional employee; so, there is no motivation to excel.

1. Add some staff! Sure times are tuff but when the care standards rise as a result, you'll reap the benefits.

2. Tell regional and area management to lighten up! Spend time working with us instead of walking around with your white gloves on and doling out criticisms.

3. Check the average wage rate for assisted living jobs near all your communities and set your wages a bit above average.

4. Relax and let us care for our residents and their well being. This along with all the above will have a positive effect on your census.

Sunrise: Wrong Execution of the Right Idea

Current Employee - Coordinator
    Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

This may be a great place to cut your teeth. Working for seniors can be a rewarding and promising career.

Cons

Sunrise claims to have their resident's needs as number one in priorities. Since I have been here they do not. Sales and marketing drives this boat right now. Residents are not assessed properly in efforts to get them in the door or retain them. Then Care Managers who are trained in assisted living practices are asked to provide nursing home care. We have never once had a visit from a VP or an Area Operations Manager where they asked, "How are your residents doing and what can I do to help you?" What we normally here is, "Why aren't all your rooms full? Why have you used so many labor hours? Why can't you figure out how to take care of 112 residents with only 5 Care Managers? What do you mean you need more supplies? Do you have to use so many medicine cups. . .just reuse them. Where's your name badge? Your shoes aren't tied!"

This company focuses so much on squishing ants that they don't see the elephants jumping the fence!

Sure they will listen to your grievances but only to show you the door later. I have never seen a company in which all the senior management is so out of touch with the true aspect of resident care. And talk about directives. . .corporate spends all kinds of time figuring out how the field can best support them and not the other way around. The folks in the big offices definitely take pride in looking down their noses at us.

Let's focus on resident care; yes, even if it means spending a dollar or two! If you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door. Make "Being the best" a reflection of care, not just words on a T-shirt!

There are newer employer reviews for Sunrise Senior Living.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!