A sinking ship....

I worked at Symbian

Pros

A very diverse environment with a number of lovely, bright people. The industry is certainly very interesting and the opportunity to work with some truly brilliant industry developers was great.

Cons

Possibly the most dysfunctional work environment I have ever been in. There were intense amounts of gossip and insecurity and generally speaking there was less focus on quality product than there was on personal issues and ego.

Advice to Management

Business decisions made to placate emotionally unstable middle managers or feed someones ego despite the full awareness that is is a bad business decision compared to other options available is foolhardy beyond the telling of it.

reviews filtered by
  1. Its great working where your work is recognised and get to interact with many tech people.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Symbian

Pros

Get the tech update from different people and be at the tech geek in mobile tech.

Cons

Symbian took over by Nokia...

Advice to Management

Keep the OS still for many phones to come.

2. An exciting place to work at

Former Employee - Engineering Manager
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager

I worked at Symbian

Pros

Great team feelings. Lots of competent people. Great leadership. Management willing to listen and take comments onboard.

Cons

Hard to get promoted above a certain range. Certain roles have a limited job grade level meaning you have to move to a new and different role to get promoted.

Advice to Management

This is perhaps not really relevent now what Nokia has taken over Symbian: Ensure salaries are in line with the industry.