Great Software Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Symbian

Pros

There was a real focus on the software, and keeping the engineers happy. More so than I have ever seen at any other company.

Cons

Under resourced. Our internal and external customers asked for a lot - there was always too much to do, and not enough time to do it in.

Overall a fine job. We had a vision of the way forward, and apart from minor issues along the way, we tended to execute that vision.

Other Reviews for Symbian

Good lifestyle, poor pay

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Symbian

Pros

Work life balance is very good
    Management are sensible w.r.t work practices..felxitime, no suits etc etc

Cons

pay/compensation is below average
    middle management are often flaky
    attitude towards promotion/work reviews isn't great

reward the efforts of workers in line with other companies. continue to respect the style in which employees may choose to work

Compensation and benefits good, managers need improvement.

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Symbian

Pros

The compensation is at least comparable with similar London-based companies, at least in Information Systems. ~This may be due to the presence of city-based companies (i.e. financial institutions) in the vicinity - although it will be interesting to see how their difficulties at present influence Symbian's compensation packages.

The benefits are good, especially medical insurance, which a number of people I know have made use of.

Management attitude to work/life balance is favourable, and it is always possible to take time off for necessities & emergencies.

The work is often interesting and challenging - although not always so!

Cons

IS management are definitely not people-oriented, and seem to make a habit of putting their foot in their mouth every time they try to make an announcement. Furthermore, one or two in particular seem to go out of their way to avoid exchanging even a single word with some of their staff. I'm sure that some middle managers don't even know who some of their staff are, despite working yards away from them!

Please try to get managers with properly developed people skills. And please stop avoiding peoples' difficult questions about the future.

There are newer employer reviews for Symbian.

Worked for Symbian? Contribute to the Community!