There are newer employer reviews for Symbian

An exciting place to work at

Former Employee - Engineering Manager
Former Employee - Engineering Manager

I worked at Symbian

Pros

Great team feelings. Lots of competent people. Great leadership. Management willing to listen and take comments onboard.

Cons

Hard to get promoted above a certain range. Certain roles have a limited job grade level meaning you have to move to a new and different role to get promoted.

This is perhaps not really relevent now what Nokia has taken over Symbian: Ensure salaries are in line with the industry.

20 Other Employee Reviews for Symbian (View Most Recent)

symbian bangalore

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Symbian

Pros

great work culture, informal atmosphere, good benefits.. and good compensation in India. Although thats a big issue in uk.

Cons

new starters are integrated into the sytem very slow

nothing much

A great place to work (Symbian Ltd.)

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Symbian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Symbian was a great place to work, it had some of the smartest people I have ever met working there, and (before the takeover) the facilities and culture were excellent. We had tech talks once a month and great parties.

Cons

The companies structure (owned solely by manufacturers) meant it was always too beholden to a few big device makers, this had a massive impact on what we could create and how we created it, we had to do what was best for other companies, not ourselves and the product we were creating.

Too late now, but we should have pushed the product in the direction that was best for consumers and the market rather than our shareholder companies. Symbian had touchscreen before anyone else, Symbian had a promising UI that we were forced to sell.
    Also, we should have paid MUCH MUCH more attention to the negative feedback we were getting from third party developers, devices (computers included) have always been about the Apps, if its too hard to create Apps, your not going to capture developer mind share, which in turn means you are not going to capture as much market share. The fact we were on 90% of smartphones and no-one else was even close, turned out to be a bad thing. We had no competition to mark ourselves against, and when iOS came out and was so far ahead in some ways (the ways that mattered), but so far behind in other ways (the ways that didn't), the threat it posed wasn't fully appreciated until it was too late.

There are newer employer reviews for Symbian

Worked for Symbian? Contribute to the Community!