Target

www.target.com

Great place to work, but difficult to maintain a good worklife balance

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader  in  Garden Grove, CA (US)
Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Garden Grove, CA (US)

Pros

Great opportunity for growth and developing leadership

Cons

Long hours and difficult to maintain a good worklife balance

Continue motivating the team members. Recognition does more than you think.

Other reviews for Target

Target is a good company to work for, but is generally conservative in pay and benefits. I enjoy my current role.

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Pros

Target does a good job trying to keep compensation equitable and responding to feedback from their employees. They recently added a new team member space which allows for a more relaxed working environment. The environment at Target is high energy, young, and fast paced.

Cons

Despite the strides Target has made in the last 3 years, they are still very formal and somewhat inflexible. There is no company wide flex work schedule policy, they have minimal part time or job share type positions available, and the dress code and environment is business formal.

More flexible work hours for salaried employees would be an inexpensive benefit to add which would positively influence company moral and retainment.

There are a couple of problems, but this is as good as entry-level retail gets.

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member

Pros

- If you are like me and you are fine with working alone, or actually prefer it, then a sales floor team member position is nice. There will be a lot of time when you are stocking items, putting up or taking down sales signs, or "zoning" (straightening items on shelves) alone. If you're the type who prefers group work and enjoys interacting with people constantly, I suggest that you apply for a cashier position instead.
    - Many customers genuinely like the Target products and environment, and are often happy to be shopping there (instead of, say, being forced to go to Wal-Mart because of lower prices).
    - I am treated more like a person than a number, as I have been at other retail jobs.
    - The HR team leaders (managers) and other team leaders are all over the store. They actually do some of the same work that you do. They don't stand around or hide in cozy little offices behind closed doors.

Cons

- Some long-time team members have their own habits and are set in their ways. It can be difficult to learn from them. While training, I occasionally had to ask the same question multiple times, or had to ask a few different people.
    - While the friendly treatment of team members is good, it does lead to more slacking off than I've noticed at other jobs. Two, three, or even four people will attend to one aisle endcap that only needs a few small boxes of items. Multiple people will slowly straighten the same part of the same aisle at one time. It gives them an excuse to hang out with their favorite co-workers while looking like they are working. I finish tasks more quickly by myself than others do in pairs or groups.
    - I started at minimum wage despite having more than two years of previous retail experience. They don't negotiate.

Great store, but your employees deserve higher pay based on their previous experience and qualifications.

There are newer employer reviews for Target.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!