Target

www.target.com

Average Retail Work

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member  in  Akron, OH (US)
Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Akron, OH (US)

Pros

There is opportunity for plenty of hours and friendly coworkers. The work is simple but you feel rewarded when you step back and see what you have accomplished.

Cons

The managers are a bit pushy and expect too much from you for this being a part-time minimum wage job. They don't always go the nicest route in giving you constructive criticism (I have left in tears more than once). They also bark orders to you while they sit in their offices eating chipotle.

Be more respectful and understanding with your team mates. You never know what could be going on in their personal lives.

Other reviews for Target

overworked,understaffed, and unappreciated

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

only the employee discount which is 10%

Cons

no consideration regarding employees personal life. they will call you in on a day off or on a day that you are unavailable. no variety with hours. low pay. they accept to may transfers and it cuts back on the hours that are available to work.

stop accepting new transfers when we already do not have enough hours for the employees that currently work at the store. also please stop and not having enough staff working during the busiest time of the week.

A company who doesn't care about their employees.

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Leader  in  Gastonia, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Leader in Gastonia, NC (US)

Pros

They pay for your college education as long as it pertains to your current job or a job you would like to do at Target and with no commitments!

Cons

When I was hired I was excited even though I had heard bad things about the company. The management seemed friendly and told me to ask plenty of questions so they can help me going on the right path. Sounds great. Well every time I asked a question I was told to figure it out. I would e-mail my manager asking for help and would get no reply. My counter part was constantly bad mouthing me and blaming me to our direct leader. My guests and the employees directly under me loved me. They were not fond of my counter part yet he is still there, I am not. I was let go at my 90 days because I was too innovative (really? since when is being innovative a negative thing?), I had no guest service skills (I have worked in guest service since for almost 10 years now, I have this down pat, my employees would tell you the same), and I didn't create a team atmosphere (bogus, my team was constantly complimenting me on how I made them feel important, they jumped at the opportunity to help me, they even told me that this was bogus). They told me they didn't care that I didn't have a lot of experience in the management department of guest service because they would help me. As you see, they didn't. They also don't care how you learn, they put you at a computer to read a bunch of information on doing your job and give you tests on what you learned. Then they throw you on the floor to do hands on learning for a couple of days then you are let loose. I don't learn that way. I'm a hands on person. So if they had me read and take a test on one spot then immediately do hands on training I would have learned it. But I took awhile to learn because it was mostly reading. I forgot most of it because I couldn't put it to practice at the same time frame. Then when I have difficulties remembering and ask a question on it, they get upset. I have had many strangers, family and friends say they think it sounds like she was intimidated by me. Who knows. What ever it was, it was ridiculous. They push you to do better by putting fear into you. I was told many times I didn't write enough people up. Really? And if you struggle with getting REDcards, you are pretty much out of a job! Insane! As a leader you are told you will work mostly mornings with some nights, you will get every other weekend off, every other weekend you work you work both days in the morning then the next weekend you work will be nights. Well it didn't work that way. My counter part got that because he was loved and was thought off as pretty much perfect, I almost never worked in the mornings (mind you I am a single mother so working in the mornings would have been easier. I also hardly ever got every other weekend off. I have friends who worked for Target at other locations and different states but had similar issues. As for the working crazy late hours when you close, that's usually only during the holidays. They want the store to look perfect for when it opens the next day. During the holidays I would be there till 2am at the latest! After the holidays the latest I ever stayed was 11:30. They are very strict on having perfect attendance. If you were late, left early, or didn't come in for ANY reason, including being sick they would document it and if you got over about 3 of those within your 90 days they would let you go. If you were over 90 days then it was about 5 within a few months. Being late includes being 1 minute late!

There are newer employer reviews for Target.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!