Target

www.target.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Target

Being an ETL at Target is Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Madison, WI (US)
Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Madison, WI (US)

I have been working at Target full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Target paints the big picture for your long-term career destination, and gives you the development tools and feedback you need to be successful in reaching your career goals. You come to really know how to leverage your strengths and improve your opportunities as a leader through feedback.

Cons

Target leaders are expected to be very global and sometimes it really cuts into your time/ability to drill into driving results in the areas that you own and are accountable to. ETL's. The training program for new ETL's is insufficient at preparing you to be successful in your role on day one. Your most valuable training will come after being thrown into your position under-prepared and learning to succeed through trial and error.

If you want stores to drive specific metrics then your leaders need the proper tools to hold Team Members accountable to driving those results (ex: individual achievement statistics for AAR, who is performing at what level based off of transactions), and Team Members need the appropriate incentives to drive those results (ex: base plus commission TM's in electronics, or more than a .25 cent raise per hour for being an electronics TM).

10120 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

Target was a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Cashier in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

I have been working at Target part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, good learning experience. Easy advancement opportunities and cross-training.

Cons

Often understaffed and employees on duty were over worked. I would often work 3 departments at once.

Friendly workplace for those with OPEN minds

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member

I have been working at Target part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most reviews will state favoritism and politics, this is incredibly true. For me this is a pro, I was incredibly lucky to have the team I did. I worked with not only my supervising ETL and Team Leads, but I also partnered with my Store Team Lead and District Leader to help facilitate my progress within the company. I left due to schooling, but if I had to give an answer about my time for Target in that store, it would be mostly positive.

There is a absolutely no harassment allowed between team members, with such fast paced and favoritism style, this actually happens more than expected. The execs in the store allowed the situation to be handled briefly and professionally. Target has just as much drama as any other retailer.

Cross training is a big plus, not only will it give you more hours, but it will boost your reputation in ability to handle multiple things at once. If cross trained, expect to be thrown into multiple locations daily. Target has an open door policy, if you want to train somewhere, it's all about asking for it. Those who ended up happiest in their position, were the ones who asked to move somewhere instead of waiting to be moved.

Don't expect to make tons of money, it's above the leading retailers but below what you will actually want. But there is an employee discount and you will always know about things in the store ahead of time.

Cons

Target has a better pay than most, but still is just not enough to survive off of. Those not fit for the company will bring you down, and trust me every store has them.

Keep an eye on the hourly associates, some of them are diamonds in the rough.

There are newer employer reviews for Target