There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America

Teach for America, while a challenge, offers a lot of support.

Current Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - Corps Member in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Feeling like you're making a difference. Prestige when looking for other jobs after commitment ends. A lot of support from TFA regional and national staff. Tons of resources available to all TFA corps members.

Cons

Definitely a challenge. Huge time commitment. Stressful. Lack of choice about living location/subject you teach/school you teach at.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic about how difficult it can be when you join TFA. Make Institute longer or ensure that teachers get more experience before they're in their own classroom.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great alternative pathway into teaching K-12

Former Employee - High School Teacher (Science) in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - High School Teacher (Science) in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Teach for America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Strong community building within the corps, gives a great support group; very helpful later on for career networking, either within or outside of a teaching career

* Streamlines the paperwork and training process for getting an emergency credential and for working your way toward a more permanent credential

* Instills a positive, data-driven, no-excuses approach to teaching that you will likely carry on throughout your career (in education or elsewhere)

Cons

* Work/life balance difficult to manage, particularly during training and the first few months (or year) of teaching. This is not necessarily caused by TFA but more due to the stresses of teaching, although their initial training in the summer is incredibly intensive.

* TFA-led training on classroom management and working with English Learners (ELs) was not very helpful; most of what I learned that worked came from the district-led trainings and on-the-job.

Advice to Management

Strengthen your trainings/workshops on curriculum-building (especially for ELs and classes built for specific levels of English proficiency) and classroom management techniques

2. Great company and easy to move up in

Current Employee - Corps Member in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, relaxed culture where everyone truly believes in organization's mission. Looks great on resume

Cons

You will do double work by working for school district and completing TFA required work.

Advice to Management

Have multiple ways to evaluate corps members. If they have a less than stellar relationship with their MTLD (not all personalities click) there is no second opinion

There are newer employer reviews for Teach for America