There are newer employer reviews for The Body Shop

I love working for this company, however prepare for long hours

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Encouraged to speak up and share ideas
Fantastic network of fellow managers for support and spirit-lifting!
Beautiful products, customer engagement and shop floor environment

Cons

A lot is demanded from managers and assistant managers. You'll either embrace it (expected to 'run' your business rather than turn up and set up, close down and go) or you'll buckle.
Long hours - expectation is to be present and work at least 30 minutes before and after you're rota'd (and therefore paid) for every day but this is often more.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about the working hours required of managers/assistant managers and reflect that in the weekly scheduling if you cannot reflect it in pay.

reviews filtered by
  1. A lot of lip service paid to "career development", but it never happens.

I worked at The Body Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers were nice and I made some good friends there. Decent employee discount.

Cons

Pay rates are deplorably low. They talk a big game about "career development", but the people who don't quit after a week end up working in the same position for half a decade (or more) and never make any real progress. What's crazy to me is that there are articles in the shop's intranet system, which employees are supposed to read, that show "who's who" and talk about recent additions to the upper management/head office team; very, very rarely do these people have a background with The Body Shop specifically. Typically, they move over from other positions with L'Oreal. Besides the lack of real opportunities for advancement, the sales model that they currently use is needlessly complicated, and customers frequently seem put off by the way sales associates follow them around while they shop. Promotions change rapidly, and when they do, the computer system is often not updated to correctly reflect the offer, which creates delays at the point of sale. The help desk is not open on weekends, so if anything goes wrong on a busy Saturday or Sunday, you're left to your own devices to figure out what to do. The districts and district managers are constantly changing. There's no employee I.D. system, so your employee discount can only be used in the particular store that you work at. Performance is judged almost entirely on your "numbers", which are skewed by factors like needing to process returns from other stores, promotions that offer deep discounts off a single item with no obligation to buy anything else, and the fact that, with the loyalty card, it is entirely possible for a customer to walk away having received their entire purchase for very little, or even for free. Customers are frequently frustrated because products are constantly being reformulated or discontinued to make room for new products in an attempt to stay "on-trend". Also, they talk a lot about their "five core values" (ex: against animal testing, protect our planet, etc.), but fail to recognize that many retail environments now strive to be more socially conscious. The Body Shop was once distinct for their system of values, but has failed to go above and beyond as other stores begin to incorporate community values into their business models.

Advice to Management

There is nothing in place to mitigate the confounding variables that affect employees' sales statistics. If performance reviews (and, thus, wages) are going to be almost entirely dependent on these numbers, these confounds absolutely must be accounted for. Under no circumstance should a promotion or loyalty card offer allow a customer to walk out of the store having not had to pay a cent for their items. Finally, The Body Shop attracts bright, socially-conscious, passionate employees. Why you are so loathe to promote them, or encourage them to stay within the company in any way, will be forever beyond me.

2. Full of dramas

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts on products, excellent training process

Cons

Its an all female environment in the place I worked at, the manager could be abusive towards her staff and Head Office seemed uncertain what to do about, this is a constant recurring problem.

Advice to Management

Take note of when half the staff complain about mistreatment by the manager. being sworn at is completely unprofessional in my books and should not be taken lightly.

There are newer employer reviews for The Body Shop