There are newer employer reviews for The Body Shop

hide from the management, not the smrtest

Former Employee - Assistant Shop Manager  in  Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at The Body Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

employee discount, meeting new people and playing with makeup

Cons

management with their heads up their butts, district manager that belittles people. Struggling company

pay better, recruit better

250 Other Employee Reviews for The Body Shop (View Most Recent)

Too stressful for the amount of pay!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

The employee discount is very generous. You receive 5 free pieces of makeup when you first start and then another 5 free pieces of makeup after you have worked at the Body Shop for a year. You are given free products all the time, like when a new eye shadow pallette is released, all employees are able to pick out one for free! Holiday Season is very upbeat and fun.

Cons

There is way too much pressure put on employees. I have had coworkers who have cried their eyes out because of something a higher-level manager has said to them. There is so much gossip between store managers and district managers show OBVIOUS favoritism. Employees are seen as disposable no matter what level they are. Assistant managers do almost everything that store managers do except they are paid significantly less. You are told to follow customers around the store and you are trained to be VERY PUSHY while still having a "customer connection". I have had many customers who have basically told me to back off when I was only doing what I was trained to do. The company focuses on selling a customer VIP card with an outrageous start up cost. Your performance is based on if you can sell VIP cards, the amount you sell, and thats basically it. During Holiday Season, you are sometimes asked to work close to 40 hours with no compensation at all. It is very, very, very boring when it is off season. Management requires you keep yourself occupied with repetitive dusting and moving around products. The only reason why I stayed with the company for as long as I did is because I absolutely loved most of the people I worked with. Once they left, I left too. Oh, don't expect to be hired if you have visible tattoos, excessive piercings or a unique hair color. The Body Shop wants all their employees to look "natural" (even though they require wearing 5 pieces of makeup).

Spend some time in one of your retail stores instead of sitting behind a desk. Being pushy does NOT lead to customer satisfaction or customer loyalty. After you observe a store for a while, you will be able to learn and adapt your selling practices to what works for real life customers.

It was ultimately a great learning tool on my career path

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great product, teaches you how to provide great customer service, great company values, small company in which growth is possible.

Cons

Company was going through a difficult growth period in which many managers were let go during my tenure. It seemed saving money was the ultimate goal at the end of the day.

Ive heard since my departure the company has rebounded and really turned a corner. I just only wish this was the case while i was still there.

There are newer employer reviews for The Body Shop

Worked for The Body Shop? Contribute to the Community!