The Body Shop

www.thebodyshop.com
  www.thebodyshop.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Body Shop

hide from the management, not the smrtest

Former Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Assistant Shop Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at The Body Shop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

employee discount, meeting new people and playing with makeup

Cons

management with their heads up their butts, district manager that belittles people. Struggling company

pay better, recruit better

269 Other Employee Reviews for The Body Shop (View Most Recent)

Too stressful for the amount of pay!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at The Body Shop part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is very generous. You receive 5 free pieces of makeup when you first start and then another 5 free pieces of makeup after you have worked at the Body Shop for a year. You are given free products all the time, like when a new eye shadow pallette is released, all employees are able to pick out one for free! Holiday Season is very upbeat and fun.

Cons

There is way too much pressure put on employees. I have had coworkers who have cried their eyes out because of something a higher-level manager has said to them. There is so much gossip between store managers and district managers show OBVIOUS favoritism. Employees are seen as disposable no matter what level they are. Assistant managers do almost everything that store managers do except they are paid significantly less. You are told to follow customers around the store and you are trained to be VERY PUSHY while still having a "customer connection". I have had many customers who have basically told me to back off when I was only doing what I was trained to do. The company focuses on selling a customer VIP card with an outrageous start up cost. Your performance is based on if you can sell VIP cards, the amount you sell, and thats basically it. During Holiday Season, you are sometimes asked to work close to 40 hours with no compensation at all. It is very, very, very boring when it is off season. Management requires you keep yourself occupied with repetitive dusting and moving around products. The only reason why I stayed with the company for as long as I did is because I absolutely loved most of the people I worked with. Once they left, I left too. Oh, don't expect to be hired if you have visible tattoos, excessive piercings or a unique hair color. The Body Shop wants all their employees to look "natural" (even though they require wearing 5 pieces of makeup).

Spend some time in one of your retail stores instead of sitting behind a desk. Being pushy does NOT lead to customer satisfaction or customer loyalty. After you observe a store for a while, you will be able to learn and adapt your selling practices to what works for real life customers.

A job not a career!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lake Worth, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lake Worth, FL (US)

I worked at The Body Shop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was fun but they don't do a lot to set themselves a part from Bath & Body Works. So they a little unknown to customers. District Manager was fantastic and was never too good to pitch in and do what she could to help out in any of her stores.

Cons

Upper management was a waste. They went through so many regionals and people in corporate they were not well ran in terms of a specific company structure with people that had stayed and made a career for themselves with the company. When I was there they had no president, it was ran by a Vice president.

Be a part of the company your running. Show that you care about what your doing like Anita did when she started it!

There are newer employer reviews for The Body Shop