There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

I do not regret leaving the company

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Marietta, GA (US)
Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

generous (almost generous?) employee discount extended to spouse/immediate family. Non-managerial co-workers are generally excellent people who try hard to make the best of a bad situation. Pay was not bad, however, salaried employes (department heads, et cetera) had a terrible compensation plan. Insurance benefits appeared average as well. . at least I rarely heard employees complaining about them. "Fresh Market" products are generally high quality products,

Cons

I felt that store and assistant managers were decent people constrained by a "upper-level" corporate culture and policies that were astoundingly ill-logical, disrespectful, and just plain horrible.

Even as a part-time employee, I found that Fresh Market made zero attempt to work with me re: schedulling around outside activities like school or second jobs. Some examples: weekly schedules were released 2-3 days in advance (at best). Time off requests , even for small things like doctor appointments, were *never* honored. On multiple occasions I found that my schedule was changed mid-week, and no one would bother to notify me in advance, let alone ask me if that was okay. In effect, Fresh Market simply assumed that all of its employees were on-call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No one in my department was allowed to have a constant off day or time (for example, I cannot work every monday afternoon due to . . .)

the job was simply . . .boring.

Fresh Market posted notices all over the back of the store stating the employees were not allowed to have cell phones, even on break, were not allowed to store personal items such as coats or sodas anywere in the store except for the break room, and other petty policies. These sort of policies were rarely enforced by management except when a regional manager or someone from corporate was visiting.

Advice to Management

Follow the golden rule. . .treat other people (employees) like you would like to be treated yourself. Address issues in a professional manner, do not yell at employees, loudly discuss or evaluate personal issues in non-private settings.

reviews filtered by

Good place to start out.

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company provides pretty good training for beginner and is willing to help you advance if you show initiative. You have to be willing to work hard and stand out. Plus you get 20 percent off most goods in the store.

Cons

Hours can be tricky, they do it based on sales so sometimes the store can be understaffed. Getting there fulltime can be tough.
    Corporate can be a pain.

Advice to Management

Corporate really needs to listen to store employees, especially department heads. They know the store and what sells more, so listen and let them work independently.

Looks like another Wild Oats or Gone Soon

Current Employee - Clean Up Mgers Mess in Bentonville, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Clean Up Mgers Mess in Bentonville, AR (US)

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None unless working 13 hours a week will help you make any money. A complete joke of a business.

Cons

Everything. Craig should go lock himself in his car. HORRIBLE place to work.

Advice to Management

Send your management to Whole Foods school. Learn how the BIG boys do it. Frankly, you do not have a clue.