The Fresh Market

www.thefreshmarket.com
  www.thefreshmarket.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market

I do not regret leaving the company

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Marietta, GA (US)
Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

generous (almost generous?) employee discount extended to spouse/immediate family. Non-managerial co-workers are generally excellent people who try hard to make the best of a bad situation. Pay was not bad, however, salaried employes (department heads, et cetera) had a terrible compensation plan. Insurance benefits appeared average as well. . at least I rarely heard employees complaining about them. "Fresh Market" products are generally high quality products,

Cons

I felt that store and assistant managers were decent people constrained by a "upper-level" corporate culture and policies that were astoundingly ill-logical, disrespectful, and just plain horrible.

Even as a part-time employee, I found that Fresh Market made zero attempt to work with me re: schedulling around outside activities like school or second jobs. Some examples: weekly schedules were released 2-3 days in advance (at best). Time off requests , even for small things like doctor appointments, were *never* honored. On multiple occasions I found that my schedule was changed mid-week, and no one would bother to notify me in advance, let alone ask me if that was okay. In effect, Fresh Market simply assumed that all of its employees were on-call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No one in my department was allowed to have a constant off day or time (for example, I cannot work every monday afternoon due to . . .)

the job was simply . . .boring.

Fresh Market posted notices all over the back of the store stating the employees were not allowed to have cell phones, even on break, were not allowed to store personal items such as coats or sodas anywere in the store except for the break room, and other petty policies. These sort of policies were rarely enforced by management except when a regional manager or someone from corporate was visiting.

Follow the golden rule. . .treat other people (employees) like you would like to be treated yourself. Address issues in a professional manner, do not yell at employees, loudly discuss or evaluate personal issues in non-private settings.

453 Other Employee Reviews for The Fresh Market (View Most Recent)

Looks like another Wild Oats or Gone Soon

Current Employee - Clean Up Mgers Mess in Bentonville, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Clean Up Mgers Mess in Bentonville, AR (US)

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None unless working 13 hours a week will help you make any money. A complete joke of a business.

Cons

Everything. Craig should go lock himself in his car. HORRIBLE place to work.

Send your management to Whole Foods school. Learn how the BIG boys do it. Frankly, you do not have a clue.

The Fresh Market is a great overall working environment with few problems!

Current Employee - Grocery Specialist in Spartanburg, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Grocery Specialist in Spartanburg, SC (US)

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The camaraderie between workers is unparallelled in the grocery industry.

The products offered are of the best quality... especially in the meat/seafood department and the produce department.

The gross profit margin is really high which allows for product loss in order to offer only the best to our customers.

The customers are generally pleased with the products offered and quality of service which makes them pleasant.

Cons

There's a lack of incentivized training company-wide.

The corporate office has a tendency to take more control than is sometimes comfortable to the department heads and specialists.

The pay-scale isn't very competitive.

Make sure store management passes information along to the department heads and specialists.

There are newer employer reviews for The Fresh Market