The Inn at St. John's

www.theinnatstjohns.com
  www.theinnatstjohns.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Inn at St. John's

A great place to work

Former Employee - Banquet Captain in Plymouth, MI (US)
Former Employee - Banquet Captain in Plymouth, MI (US)

I worked at The Inn at St. John's

Pros

They will promote you if you work hard. They will give you a chance to try something-even if you have no experience doing it. Management is open to ideas and concerns. The people who work there are very accepting and friendly. It's like a big family.

Cons

As in any banquet facility, your schedule varies from week to week, which makes it hard to make plans in advance. You should expect to work every weekend since most of the excitement happens then.

It is very easy to work for a business where your customers are always satisfied. You have strived to produce the "Wow" factor for each guest and you truly have.

4 Other Employee Reviews for The Inn at St. John's (View Most Recent)

Great resume builder, but don't expect much money.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth, MI (US)

I worked at The Inn at St. John's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team to work with, a lot of passionate people, definitely a resume builder, and the employee perks were nice (discounted golf, meals, etc.)

Cons

Creativity from the "lower ranks" seems to be discouraged, people can and will be written up for anything, hours are very odd and often scarce, employee reviews and raises are non-existent, some managers treat employees like dirt.

Encourage employee creativity, give performance appraisals regularly (at least yearly), and take note of how your first-line managers treat your employees.

A nice place to visit, not a very nice place to work

Former Employee - Grounds Crew in Plymouth, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Grounds Crew in Plymouth, MI (US)

I worked at The Inn at St. John's

Pros

You get a free bucket of golf balls at Carl's every day and a discount on some of the merchandise there, discounts at the company's other hotels (if there is a vacancy), discounts at Five Restaurant and the Burger Loft. It's a beautiful place with unique buildings and grounds and there are some really nice, friendly people that work there.

Cons

I don't know what the other departments are like but working on the grounds crew was miserable and employee morale was very low. The job itself was okay, I just didn't like the way the place was managed. You don't get much training, safety doesn't seem to be of any importance, it's hard to get to know people because the employee turnover is so high, they tell you at orientation that pay is competitive but it is not, the ability to get overtime is very little to none at all and no one ever gets a raise even if you are a good employee. You have to work 6 days a week (four 8-hour days and two 4-hour days) and only get one day off and some of the same people have to work every single weekend so there isn't much of a work/life balance. Hard working employees end up picking up the slack of the lazy ones and there is no reward for the hard work and no punishment for lack of it - very frustrating.

They say that uniforms are provided but all they give you is a hat and 2 shirts that are miserably hot to wear and you are only allowed to wear tan pants (which you have to buy yourself if you aren't fortunate enough to already own some). The shirts fade after one washing and since you always get dirty your light colored pants will never look clean so basically you look like a sweaty, dirty, slob every single day. Very unprofessional looking for a four diamond hotel, in my opinion.

Another thing I hated was parking there. They make you park at the end of the parking lot (where your car might get hit by a golf ball) and walk all the way across it to the maintenance building, which is not only a waste of time but to me is a poor way to treat your employees when there are parking spaces right by the building. They say it is for security reasons, but knowing that only made me feel really lousy to work for a company that didn't trust me not to steal things.

You don't actually work for St. John's, you work for a hotel management company and from what I've seen, they aren't that great. Benefits are mediocre for a company that large and seasonal employees don't qualify for them. Employees aren't allowed to drink on the property or stay in the hotel so if a close friend of yours is thinking about choosing this venue and wants you to attend, you may want to encourage them to book their wedding or other event elsewhere. Salary employees seem to get taken advantage of and are required to work 90 hours per pay period (every 2 weeks) even if there isn't 90 hours worth of work to do.

I never did actually figure out if management was just completely out of touch with the problems that our crew faced or just did not care how we were treated but attempts to remedy problems we had always failed no matter who tried. I suggest actually listening to your employees and making sure that supervisors of their departments are actually doing their job. It would also increase the quality of the upkeep of the grounds if they would pay high enough wages to attract skilled employees instead of paying the lowest wage possible to someone with no experience and offer annual raises to make the good employees want to stay instead of leave because they can make more money working the same job at another company that pays better. It takes a lot of time and money to hire and train new employees and this money could be used to offer raises instead of bringing in new people all the time because another good employee got frustrated and quit. Also, it seemed like we were always struggling to keep up with the work that needed to be done because we had such a small staff for a property that large and as a result, the quality of our work was never as good as it could have been, which really disappointed me because I'm one of those people who takes pride in my work but the company always seemed okay with just "good enough" work instead of great work.

There are newer employer reviews for The Inn at St. John's