The Inn at St. John's

Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for The Inn at St. John's

A great place to work

Former Employee - Banquet Captain in Plymouth, MI (US)
Former Employee - Banquet Captain in Plymouth, MI (US)

I worked at The Inn at St. John's

Pros

They will promote you if you work hard. They will give you a chance to try something-even if you have no experience doing it. Management is open to ideas and concerns. The people who work there are very accepting and friendly. It's like a big family.

Cons

As in any banquet facility, your schedule varies from week to week, which makes it hard to make plans in advance. You should expect to work every weekend since most of the excitement happens then.

Advice to Management

It is very easy to work for a business where your customers are always satisfied. You have strived to produce the "Wow" factor for each guest and you truly have.

reviews filtered by
  1. There's better banquet centers, better hotels, and better golf courses to work at. I can't wait to leave this place!

I have been working at The Inn at St. John's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a nice looking place with a lot of nice employees. Not much else good going on.

Cons

No employee appreciation - everyone is underpaid and raises are rare and very little if you are lucky enough to even get one. Safety is a joke, you are treated like you don't matter, offices are in the basement where it is dark and depressing with no windows, management treats you like dirt even though they could never run the place without us "little people", being mediocre seems to be encouraged as they don't seem to want to spend money on raises to keep the great employees or open to ideas that might cost them money. They also don't let you stay at the hotel or drink on the property so golfing or attending weddings may not be as fun for you if you're an employee there. You also don't actually work for St. John's but for a hotel management company, so they really don't have the best interest of the property or its workers at heart.

Advice to Management

You have some really great employees but after talking with many of them (in various departments) the consensus seems to be that your company is lousy. I've seen a lot of good people leave over the years out of frustration or because similar jobs elsewhere pay better and other companies treat their employees better. I suggest you pay people more, encourage them to grow within the company (and give them opportunities and the education to do so) and treat them better if you want your business to succeed.

Great resume builder, but don't expect much money.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth, MI (US)

I worked at The Inn at St. John's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with, a lot of passionate people, definitely a resume builder, and the employee perks were nice (discounted golf, meals, etc.)

Cons

Creativity from the "lower ranks" seems to be discouraged, people can and will be written up for anything, hours are very odd and often scarce, employee reviews and raises are non-existent, some managers treat employees like dirt.

Advice to Management

Encourage employee creativity, give performance appraisals regularly (at least yearly), and take note of how your first-line managers treat your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for The Inn at St. John's