There are newer employer reviews for Thornton Tomasetti

Challenging work but less salary

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Thornton Tomasetti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a lot of interesting projects. Work is challenging and demanding. You will get to learn a lot here.

Cons

Pay is much lesser than other peer companies. A little difficult to maintain work-life balance here.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Projects

I worked at Thornton Tomasetti

Pros

Great benefits, great projects, lots of offices to work in.

Cons

Salary is not as good, hard to move up, seems arbitrary who gets promoted and who doesn’t. General feeling among younger staff is that everyone is replaceable.

Enjoyed the technical work and clients, but management and company outlook is bleak.

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Thornton Tomasetti

Pros

Because of its name and prestige, TT draws interesting clients and projects, giving you the opportunity to experience and learn a great deal even as an entry level engineer. Opportunities for inter-office transfer are available, and the company is generally flexible with respect to hours and vacations.

Cons

Considering the required skill level (MS degree, professional certifications, etc.), the long hours, and the amount of stress, the salary and benefits are dismal.

Lack of solid leadership skills and collaboration coming from upper management. An incredibly top-heavy company. At the current rate of promotions and lack of hiring, everyone will become a vice-president and no one will be doing any "actual" work. A/E Industry outlook is grim; I wouldn't be surprised to see TT downsizing even more so over the next several years.

Advice to Management

Smarter and leaner upper management is required. Increased focus on improving technical staff benefits and rewards. Consider the possibility that your business model from 25 years ago will no longer be sustainable in the current market.