middle class wages

Former Employee - Mail Processing Clerk
Former Employee - Mail Processing Clerk

I worked at US Postal Service full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Livable wage for middle class and no college education

Cons

joint damaging job, and poor morale of most employees.

until a way to inspire a team atmosphere comes to the USPS, this federal entity will perish due to its unwillingness to conform to newer and more cost efficient technologies, and personal business practices and interactions.

Other Reviews for US Postal Service

Great people, well organized, hard work

Former Employee - Entry Level  in  South Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Entry Level in South Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at US Postal Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

My team handled misaddressed mail, and were a wide variety of people with a common purpose: get that stuff where it was supposed to go if possible. I really liked the common purpose and dedication.
    Management was also very good about making adjustments to fit the needs of each person; two people are physically alike so making these changes was smart but also helpful.

Cons

Starting at the bottom meant working the worst hours. This is true anywhere of course but it was definitely a problem in my case.

Advertize your openings more widely. I really had no idea you were hiring until I stumbled across a note at the Post Office. You touch every door every day: use it!

Good Pay and Benefits.....Thanks to the Unions!

Former Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER
    Former Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER

I worked at US Postal Service full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The 4 major labor unions have negotiated good pay and benefits for blue-color employees. This has benefited all managers in the Postal Service because it raised the bar. Because of the union contracts there is job security and some protection from irrational management.

Cons

The Postal Service is a numbers driven organization. Everything is driven by productivity numbers. While productivity is good for the survival of any organization there should be a clear plan in place to reach reasonable goals. Therein lies the problem. Goals are set and middle level managers are expected to obtain these goals and are basically turned loose to achieve them at any cost. Even at the cost of the welfare of employees. When higher level managers are unable to produce numbers that are acceptable the most common practice they are encouraged to find sacrificial lambs somewhere below them. This is why over 90% of blue color workers in the Postal Service volunteer to be members of labor unions. I only recommend this employer to one who is willing, and able, to handle situations where you will be asked to handle workloads that are unreasonable and sometimes impossible.

It's time to realize that it's not the employees that are the problem at the Postal Service, they are your greatest asset. Seek the advice of the grass roots workers, i.e., clerks, carriers, etc., before making policies. If you recovered all the time spent by middle and lower managers tracking the lowest level employees performance and used it to improve service to the public, instead of cutting services to the public for that purpose, the Post Office would be able to provide SERVICE at a reasonable cost to the public. Isn't that what it was founded on 200 years ago?

There are newer employer reviews for US Postal Service.

Worked for US Postal Service? Contribute to the Community!