There are newer employer reviews for Uber

Great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company with a lot of interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Not big enough to be a big company but not small enough to be a startup anymore.

124 Other Employee Reviews for Uber (View Most Recent)

The Best Job of my Life

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Each city acts as their own startup. You make the best decisions possible for your city as a team. There is no micro-management, no big overhead, and no limiting constraints. HQ empowers you to make the best decisions for your specific city, and it's incredible. I'm obsessed with working here and helping Uber grow.

Cons

Don't work for Uber if you're not willing to miss major holidays like New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, etc. This is the time when we are the busiest. It's really not that big a deal--you can still celebrate with your coworkers, and it's kinda fun.

Also, if you don't like to work hard (and work smart), then Uber won't be a good fit for you. They're seriously only looking for the best who really believe in the company and want to help continue its growth.

Finally, if you are uncomfortable with taking (calculated) risks, and doing things that have never been done before, you should steer clear of Uber. Our culture supports bringing new and innovative ideas to the table from every city around the world.

Stay awesome, stay inspirational. You guys rock.

Flexibility is Good

Current Employee - UberX Driver in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - UberX Driver in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I really like the flexibility Uber offers. I also work a FT job, but the fact there are fares 24 hours a day makes this a good gig for PT work. What I have found to work for the best "bank for the buck" is getting online by 5am & trolling south (I live in Buford) on P-Tree Ind or 141, there are many fares heading to the airport at that time. Overall it's a very nice PT gig. I have met many "interesting" people, I could write a book.

Cons

I have to usually drive ITP during evenings to get fares (35+ miles).
    In the late nights - early mornings - there are almost as many cancellations as fares. I have even called the customer to verify they indeed need a ride & have been told yes.. I have driven as far as 18-20 miles (when working very late you might be the only driver out, or so it seems) only to be cancelled upon arrival. Uber might or might not compensate me for that. & if they do, it's $6. - of which I receive $4.80.
    The GPS leaves much to be desired on many nights, so I call the customer to verify their location. If it's very early in the morning (like runs to the airport) the customer have gotten PO'ed as they do not want to wake their family. If it's the drunks you are taking home, sometimes they have no clue where they are & I am driving in circles trying to find them.

The $1 deduction for every fare can be a big hit, especially for a fare under $10, because there's also the 20% fee.
    I do not get satisfaction from many emails to partners.uber.com. They are condescending & there's no 'voice' to speak with when there's a major concern. Many times they do not answer the question at hand, they give a "standard" reply that has nothing to do with the question emailed to them.

There are newer employer reviews for Uber