University of Durham
www.dur.ac.uk Durham, United Kingdom 1000 to 5000 Employees

Satisfying environment. Some of the best UK students. Salary good.

Professor (Current Employee)
Durham, England

I have been working at University of Durham

ProsGreat very pretty small town - good facilities for kids. Reasonable emphasis on research and bureaucrats can be mostly avoided!

ConsThe organisation is a bit centralised with edicts coming from the centre. Remedial classes required for incoming students but this is true for the whole UK now. A bit too much focus on the "student experience".

Advice to Senior ManagementMy main advice would be to let the experts you hire be expert. Also often the University only tries (and fails) to retain the best people once they have job offers from elsewhere - try harder to retain people before they feel they even need to look elsewhere.

UK universities are a good place to work

Lecturer (Current Employee)
Durham, England

I have been working at University of Durham

Pros: Intellectually challenging. Both staff and students are highly capable. Teaching is fun;… Cons: Its pretty elitist in outlook and structure. If you don't publish in well-respected journals and/or get the right grants, then promotion is difficult.… Advice to Senior Management: Management are doing a good job. People complain about cuts but the cuts are across… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Elitest but beautiful

I have been working at University of Durham full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: High academic quality. You need to be good to work here and the… Cons: Not much social diversity. A university for rich kids. Advice to Senior Management: Management is good. They pander to equality issues but really… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on University of Durham.

Worked for University of Durham? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Durham reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Durham CEO Anne Galbraith. All reviews posted anonymously by University of Durham employees.