University of Glasgow
www.gla.ac.uk Glasgow, United Kingdom 1000 to 5000 Employees

Great research environment

Research Fellow (Former Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at University of Glasgow

ProsExcellent, world-class and stimulating research environment.

Good facilities and excellent support and guidance from from the research management (although this can be somewhat group dependent - maybe I was lucky).

Typically limited duration contracts, but good once you get on the rolling grants - in my experience, if you're any good, the management will do amazing feats of juggling to keep you regardless of funding problems.

ConsLimited chance of career advancement in research-only - as normal, to advance, you need to teach and the term time load can be rather high (supervision and not much else) - although some opportunities do exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn general, good job! Keep a eye on the teaching time load to ensure the university can keep its world-class research status. More opportunities for research-only posts (and advancement there) would be welcome (although noted that teaching is the primary function of universities!)

There's a lot Glasgowing on at the University

Analyst (Current Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at University of Glasgow

Pros: Job security is certainly a bonus. There is a relaxed feel to… Cons: I personally believe that there aren't many opportunities for promotion in the University. Jobs appear to be awarded on factors that are unrelated to performance… Advice to Senior Management: The University is a large organisation with roughly 5000 staff and 25000 students. The senior management appear to make decisions based on unrealistic assumptions without… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

job conditions

Cleaner (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Glasgow

Pros: the conditions are good but the work is tiresome need… Cons: the job is hard too much commitment , teamwork is… Advice to Senior Management: they should involve workers more in planning Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on University of Glasgow.

Worked for University of Glasgow? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Glasgow reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by University of Glasgow employees.