University of Glasgow

Great research environment

Former Employee - Research Fellow in Glasgow, Scotland
Former Employee - Research Fellow in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at University of Glasgow

Pros

Excellent, world-class and stimulating research environment.

Good facilities and excellent support and guidance from from the research management (although this can be somewhat group dependent - maybe I was lucky).

Typically limited duration contracts, but good once you get on the rolling grants - in my experience, if you're any good, the management will do amazing feats of juggling to keep you regardless of funding problems.

Cons

Limited chance of career advancement in research-only - as normal, to advance, you need to teach and the term time load can be rather high (supervision and not much else) - although some opportunities do exist.

In general, good job! Keep a eye on the teaching time load to ensure the university can keep its world-class research status. More opportunities for research-only posts (and advancement there) would be welcome (although noted that teaching is the primary function of universities!)

26 Other Employee Reviews for University of Glasgow (View Most Recent)

There's a lot Glasgowing on at the University

Current Employee - Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at University of Glasgow

Pros

Job security is certainly a bonus. There is a relaxed feel to University life and being based in the west end of glasgow is excellent.

Cons

I personally believe that there aren't many opportunities for promotion in the University. Jobs appear to be awarded on factors that are unrelated to performance and ability. I have seen instances of senior management giving promotions to colleagues who they are friendly with rather than colleagues who are very good at their job.

There have been recent issues where senior management have attempted to save money by making unrealistic demands of departments. This has a negative affect on staff morale. The University is quite large and disjointed, when a task requires input from another department completion times increase exponentially.

The University is a large organisation with roughly 5000 staff and 25000 students. The senior management appear to make decisions based on unrealistic assumptions without much thought for the long term ramifications of change. It appears that on many occaisons management only see numbers on a spreadsheet and not the real cost of their decisions.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Academic
    Former Employee - Academic

I worked at University of Glasgow full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Glasgow is lovely. Good access to countryside.
    Pre restructure - I enjoyed working here. The workplace I joined had a great feeling of camaraderie.

Cons

This is my personal opinion:
    1. I had less and less time for research and ever greater teaching and teaching admin loads
    2. My yearly assessment only seemed to be about performance (papers/grant income/students supervised)- make sure you are aware of how you will be judged - look it up on the P&DR pages of HR. The emphasis on my development/promotion as an academic did not seem to exist
    3. I was hampered by a dysfunctional Institute/School structure. Infighting between university structures made life very difficult
    4. Poor administrative support in every respect
    5. In my opinion, women were treated poorly in my Institute.

How about taking heed of the staff survey

There are newer employer reviews for University of Glasgow