Great experience working at this company

Former Employee - Director  in  Glendale, CA (US)
Former Employee - Director in Glendale, CA (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent benefits and compensation; Recognition of employees is very good

Cons

Corporate politics can be quite tiresome

Other Reviews for Unum Group

Worst. Company. Ever.

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

IF you want to be treated like cattle and treated like a "number" then this is the place for you! If you like to be treated like a child at age 35 then this is the place for you. If you want to transport back to high school where there are cliques and teacher's pets then this is the place for you!

Cons

I feel like I was duped by accepting a position at Unum. So many promises were made during the interview process, only to find out the recruiters who interview you and provide the information about pay and promotions clearly have no idea what the specific position entails. But I had heard from a friend of a friend it was a good place to work. Worst decision ever. I have vast experience in sales, service, management and could have added value to my team and my manager but it is seen as a threat to their authority and position (which we were constantly reminded hinged on our performance and us not rocking the boat). Upper management is invisible and I was actually reprimanded once for presenting an idea and not clearing it with my manager first because she wanted to so-present it (take credit).

Urge your lower level managers to LISTEN to employees - just because someone might be in a lower level position to get their foot in door does not mean they do not have valid experience and ideas and input to give. Don't make lower level managers an obstacle to growth. But I am sure this will fall on deaf ears since most of the company meetings I had to sit through where we were force fed how great it is, how much they care about employees and their growth , etc. were wrought with employee eye-rolling and "yeah rights".

corporate america

Former Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist
    Former Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist

I worked at Unum Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

health insurance, pto perks, big company

Cons

big company, unrealistic goals, too number focused

used to be a good work environment until things became to numbers focused

There are newer employer reviews for Unum Group.

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!