VMware

www.vmware.com

So far so good...

Current Employee - Solutions Architect  in  New York, NY (US)
Current Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Cutting Edge Products
Biggest Market Share - Virtulization/Cloud
25000 Partners w97% of fortune 500 as customers
Internal communication platforms are great for collaboration

Cons

Fast paced environment with a very entrepreneurial feel, which is good and bad. Travel policy is a lot less lenient than the consulting firm I came from.

Haven't been here long enough to tell but it seems like upper management leaves the micro managing to you and they worry about the macro. They are very interested in your professional growth and will let you know when you've done a good job.

Other reviews for VMware

more VPs than a bank

Current Employee - Group Product Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Group Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Pros

- great people, the smart ones are still here
    - the vision is amazing, very few can make it as far as we have and even fewer have the focus we do on completing that vision

Cons

at the lower ranks, it's not clear the right people are getting promoted. With more and more people, it's just harder to get stuff done. More political boundaries and fewer end to end accountability.

There was a time when getting stuff done was what we held people accountable to. Now it's about "smart thinking" but the actual execution is almost an after-thought. Time to hold everyone (including GMs and VPs) accountable instead to the goals they set out to do.

Great, but could be better.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II  in  Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Cambridge, MA (US)

Pros

* There are excellent opportunities to work closely with technical leaders, which is a uniquely educational experience.
    * At least within some groups, ideas live and die by their own merits (and not based on, for example, the seniority of the idea's champion).
    * At least some first and second line management is competent, providing feedback when asked not only during the semi-annual performance review process, but on a task-to-task or week-to-week granularity as well.
    * Great promotion potential for good engineers.
    * Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

* Leadership does not seem to be proactive about providing feedback.
    * Promotions don't always seem to make sense; the people who deserve promotions seem to get them, but so do some of the people who don't. Relatedly, management (at all levels) does not articulate the rationale for management.
    * Product management doesn't consistently communicate the reasoning behind decisions, making it hard to understand their point of view or to take initiative on issues that would be potentially cut-and-dry.
    * Inter-product relationships are still being developed; there isn't, yet, good sharing of information or resources.

* Replace the "360-degree" review system with something that actually works; employees should be able to both give and receive clear feedback about performance.
    * Buckle down (nicely); we're grown ups. When we make a mistake, tell us. When one of our co-workers makes a mistake, tell them. If it isn't clear when someone is doing something wrong, the problem won't go away.
    * Similarly, provide a simple way to provide feedback when we feel you've made a mistake. I understand that the ability to provide anonymous feedback has a variety of problems, but it's hard to feel comfortable providing critical feedback in a direct manner.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!