Ski Instructor

Former Employee - Ski Instructor  in  Vail, CO (US)
Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Vail, CO (US)

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free pass to five great mountains. Teaching with the best instructors in the world. It was great fun and you're always outdoors.

Cons

First year inductors find it hard to make a full living financially. Ran by a corporation and it has that feel to it. It's seasonal and you'll have times of unemployment.

Lower cost so more people can visit and ski which will make everyone more money!

Other Reviews for Vail Resorts

parent of employee in breckenridge

Former Employee - Cook I and Cook II  in  Breckenridge, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Cook I and Cook II in Breckenridge, CO (US)

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

living and working in the mountains

Cons

no upward movement in the company. college graduate with a business degree who took a low level job in a company that promotes itself by saying they hire from within, doesn't. after 2 years of working at a low level, low paying job while trying to move into a business or management field it became clear that it wasn't going to happen. so 2 years gone without any experience to help get ahead in any other field, and no help from the company you thought was going to be your life.

pay attention to the employees you have, they are there for a reason, usually because they have a love for the mountains and the industry that surrounds it.

Not As Great As They Think They Are

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free ski pass
    Opportunity to say you work for a cool company

Cons

Continually adding beauracratic procecess. They are squeezing the fun out of work.
    Pay absolutely sucks
    Benefits are average
    Executive Committee makes all decisions and is "infallable"

Rob Katz is the biggest tight wad in the history of tight wads. Constantly "crying poor" that they have limited resources to allocate while his bonus gets larger and larger. For the past 7 years, Katz has been saying, "I think we are paying competitive salaries to our employees. We're also going to do a compensation study, and if we find out we are low, we will make adjustments". That's a lie. Katz did his study, found out he is paying extremely low salaries, and chose to leave employees BELOW his own minimum salary ranges because he is so cheap. Won't invest in the tools employees need to do their jobs. He's only interested in buying high-profile resorts so he can make a big media splash. As a former Wall Streeter, he's completely focused on quarterly results and the stock price. Guess what Rob, the vast majority of your employees can't afford to buy your stock because you pay them so poorly. Want them to care more? Give them some stock.

There are newer employer reviews for Vail Resorts.

Worked for Vail Resorts? Contribute to the Community!